Cauliflower Rice.

Not a cook.  Nope, not me.  Which is why this recipe for cauliflower rice was so useful, because it requires little thought, little cooking, and very little insulin.

Cauliflower rice

• Buy a head of cauliflower.  Become friends with it.  And then rip it into small sections, keeping hold of mostly the florets (the tops of the trees, in Bird terms) and discard the stiffer stems.
  • Rinse the florets.  Dry them.
  • Put them in a bowl and mix with a little bit of olive oil and salt, to taste.  Also add garlic, if you’re gross.  (We’re gross.)
  • Take a food processor, if you’re one of those fancy people who has a food processor, and pulse the florets for 20 – 30 seconds in order to reduce them down to the teeny rice sized bits.  If you’re not the fancy type who has a food processor, take the blender and use that.  And if you’re full analog, grab a giant cheese grater and grate the florets.  (This last option will take a long time and you may be adding finger to your rice, so choose wisely.)
  • Fluff the “rice” with a fork and put into a bowl.
  • Take a picture of the bowl and realize it doesn’t photograph well, but put it on Instagram anyway.
  • Realize the whole process took four minutes and high five yourself for making such a healthy thing in minimal minutes.

Cauliflower rice

A post shared by Kerri Sparling (@sixuntilme) on

At our house, we used the cauliflower rice as a base for our eggplant parmesan, replacing the pasta.  I won’t lie and say it tastes just like pasta, but I won’t lie and say it caused a wildly high blood sugar, either.  We had eggplant parmesan that required 1.8u of insulin to cover it (mostly for the pasta sauce carbs).

Most recipes online that I saw clocked the cauliflower rice in at 5 grams of carbs per cup, so that’s the ratio I used to calculate my insulin doses.  Which means I did not bolus at all for it, since I only had a half a cup and my I:C is 1:12.

WARNING:  If you put it in your fridge overnight, even if it is in a tightly-sealed tupperware container, your whole fridge will smell like gas.  And not the “runs my car” sort of gas.   Beware.

1. I recently began making cauliflower rice for my T1D hubby and I. It never occurred to me that I didn’t have to cook it (I’ve been browning it in a skillet). Thanks for the great writeup!

03/20/17; 11:30 am
  2. GM #

This is also an awesome base for cauliflower “fried rice” – just sautee and throw in some veggies. It’s one of my favorite meals.

03/20/17; 1:15 pm
  3. Judi #

You can also find simple recipes on Pinterest for fried rice made with cauliflower that’s really good. You can also buy it already riced in a bag at Trader Joe’s if your really lazy, like me

03/20/17; 1:19 pm
  4. Devorah Shore #

i’m lazy and I use pre riced cauliflower that I get at costco or trader joes. Much easier!

03/20/17; 6:49 pm
  5. I love riced cauliflower. I am a fan of the pre riced products in the freezer case. A man needs his short cuts for certain.

03/20/17; 8:08 pm
  6. Sharon K Chrisman #

Next, give riced cauliflower pizza crust a go! Its a must try. I’ll try to post a recipe to your FB wall. Easier than it sounds.

03/20/17; 8:54 pm
  7. Louise #

I recently discovered this in the past month or two. Awesome for reducing carbs! I haven’t tried it in its “uncooked” state – I usually rice it then saute it with salt, pepper, olive oil for about 5 minutes and then use it in place of rice. Once it’s sauteed, I find you can put it in the fridge for future use (because a whole head of cauliflower lasts us more than one meal) and it no longer leaves the awful smell!

03/21/17; 12:14 pm
    • Excellent advice. Thank you for the tip!!!

03/21/17; 11:30 pm
  8. I love cauliflower rice! I usually just buy it frozen but I’ve found so many uses for it, it’s become my low carb rice substitute. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

03/22/17; 10:00 am
  9. Amy #

game changer for us. no blender to wash. love. love. love.

03/22/17; 11:10 pm