The Thin, Red Line.

For the last few days, I’ve been sick.  Sicker than I’ve been in several years – a man cold morphing into a respiratory infection with an agenda, evolving into nausea that rivaled all my morning sickness put together, crashing into having to visit the doctor and cancel a trip to California this week.  (For the record, I’ve never had to cancel a trip.  Ever, in my history of self-employment.  This was not my proudest moment, but it was necessary, as I was the walking dead and have only been recently upgraded to walking mostly-dead.)

For whatever reason, the “sick day rules” that the Joslin Clinic warned my parents and I about back in the day haven’t ever fully applied to my diabetes.  I don’t often see ketones, or highs for hours, or need a 200% bump in my basal rate.  It’s weird; I just don’t get sick in that “affects my diabetes” way very often.

But this round was a bit different.  Aside from being decidedly real people sick, my diabetes took a nosedive in response.  I had ketones that required major insulin and hydration to kick out.  My blood sugar went stupid high for a decent clip and then spent the night in the trenches, coming up only after three juice boxes and two bananas.  (Two bananas!)

It was that thin, red line of hypoglycemia that really freaked me out, as I was having trouble keeping food down, so treating the lows became tricky.  In the beginning of this pregnancy, I had serious nausea for many weeks, and every first trimester-influence low blood sugar was very difficult to properly manage because eating something was a big NO THANK YOU.  This round of illness revisited that theme, leaving me low for hours and having a hard time effectively treating it.  (Thank you again, Tandem, for a pump with a quick-to-set temporary basal rate.  Saved my hypo ass.)  It’s a weird line to walk, not over-treating a low, and even weirder to not feel capable of treating it at all.

But relief is in sight.  This morning did not require anti-nausea tea.  My fever has broken.  I have no voice to speak of (or with), but at least that dulls my complaining down to a husky whisper.  And best of all, my blood sugars have stopped being illness-induced jerkfaces and are back to standard second trimester circus-ry.

Small victories.

1. Tim Steienrt #

Sounds awful. I hope your recovery continues unabated and that you get your energy back–and your voice. Except for the being sick part, when I begin to lose my voice I finally fulfill my dream of being a bass instead of a tenor. Normally, my voice is in Etta James’ mature vocal range, and NOBODY wants to hear a 50-year-old guy sing “Tell Mama,” “I’d Rather Be a Blind Girl” or “At Last.”

05/10/16; 11:11 am
  2. Bridget #

Glad you are feeling better!

05/10/16; 5:27 pm
  3. Jennifer #

This is a fear for my T1D daughter. I suffered with hyperemesis (on IV therapy because I couldn’t keep anything down for weeks) with all four of my pregnancies. It is in her DNA to have horrible, pregnancy long morning sickness. To think she’d have to try to deal with low blood sugar levels when she can’t keep anything down is enough to give me nightmares.

05/10/16; 6:11 pm
  4. Sandy T #

So glad you are feeling better!
    You just voiced one of my biggest fears…the going low while sick and noting being able to get it up. Someone told me about that when first diagnosed and I’ve been scare ever sense. I have anti nausea pills at all times just in case. I’m positive I’m going to die because of it. I know very unlikely I talk many precautions to prevent it, but still terrified. That being said, so far I’ve been lucky. I pray my luck holds out another 13 years.
    Again, so glad to hear you are starting to feel better.

05/10/16; 7:19 pm
    • This is the first time I’ve really had that problem, treating a low while being in puke-mode. Morning sickness for me wasn’t actually throwing up, but this past illness had its moments, and going low wasn’t pleasant. I wished I had mini-dose glucagon on hand for this exact thing, but I didn’t have a kit in the house. 🙁

05/11/16; 9:56 am
  5. Kerri,

I’ve noticed that I fight off nasty things a lot better when I run a diffuser with my magic combo of Lavender, Eucalyputus, and Chamomile essential oils. I also use the same trio in a carrier oil on the bottoms of my feet.

My son had this weird wet super congested cough out of nowhere one day and running the diffuser and rubbing the oil on really helped him to breathe at night.

My husband came home from traveling with a super nasty cold and I’m fighting it but seem not to be really getting the symptoms like he has.

My point is it seems to help us.

I had a super nasty congested sickness while pregnant with my second child. I wish I would have known about the diffuser then. Maybe it would help you.

Here’s wishing you well sooner than later, Carmen

05/11/16; 9:26 am
  6. I’m so glad you’re rounding the corner to wellness! And, have to say as this is our “normal” I’m thoroughly gobsmacked that this is the first time in your life you’ve experienced this and ever considered wishing for a mini-dose of glucagon. YDMV.

I will be thinking about this until I know you’ve gotten a Glucagon kit! Please put me out of my misery.

05/11/16; 10:47 am
  7. Jess e. #

Did this with my six year old a few months ago and it was terrifying! The endo on call told me to just keep feeding her and maybe Sprite and crackers would help. I wanted to punch him in the face! Glad you are on the mend and glad you have glucagon in the house 🙂

05/11/16; 10:49 pm