Open the Door.

For several weeks, I was flipping open the charging port on my t:slim insulin pump and plugging it in while I was in the shower.  But then I noticed the charging port cover was looking a little worse for the wear, and I connected with a friend about best practices.  (“Best practices” standing in for “How the hell do you charge this thing without breaking the door off?”)

Turns out the door swivels.  And swiveling the door keeps it from ripping.

Swivel that door! #tslim

A photo posted by Kerri Sparling (@sixuntilme) on

Well I’ll be (… more careful, more aware, a swivel-er).

(Also, you tell me if “Open the door” as a post title immediately made you think “get on the floor … everybody walks the dinosaur.”

[Tandem disclosure]

1. Liz #

I’ll be! I’ve had my T:slim for 3 1/2 years now and I never knew this!! I’m so glad you switched, I’m loving all your tips!! Thanks!!!

02/26/16; 5:33 pm
  2. Leah #

You can also replace that little puppy. I broke mine and thought I’d have to replace the whole pump, but the helpful people at Tandem sent me 2 replacements. You just pull off the old one and pop on the new one. And it’s still water resistant without the plastic piece–it’s just to keep dust out.

02/26/16; 6:24 pm
  3. John #

Thanks for the t:slim tips Kerri. I just ordered my new Tandem t:slim G4 and will have it next week.

02/26/16; 7:30 pm
  4. Allison Allison #

Yay! Thanks! I just asked for a replacement from the rep while at our walk the other day. You would think she would have mentioned the swivel!!

02/27/16; 8:26 am
  5. Martha #

And speaking of swiveling, when I was trained on my t:slim I was taught to pull the cartridge-removal thingy straight up, which often resulted in abrasions to my knuckles and was overall a very violent experience. Then, after a year with my pump, I happened to see a t:slim rep TWIST the removal thingy. A small victory, but I thought I’d share in case anyone else is unnecessarily roughing up their fingers (like we need more of that!).

02/29/16; 5:16 pm
  6. Ouch that hurt me just looking at it. Yuck.

I want you to know i referred your blog to the TUDiabetes blog page for the week of February 29, 2016. I hope this brings you some additional readership.

02/29/16; 11:07 pm