Verio Sync: Unanticipated Glitch.

The Verio Sync meter and I have been happy friends for a few years now, starting back in late 2013.  (Here’s that first post, with disclosures aplenty. Second impressions are here.)

I honestly can’t figure out why more people aren’t using this meter.  It’s fast, it’s accurate, and the Reveal app is awesome.  This meter has been the best fit for me in the last few years, which is a big statement because I historically revolt against excessive change when it comes to diabetes tech.

Bottom line:  I like this meter.  Quite a bit.

Footnote on bottom line:  Until last week, when I tried to upload my information to the app, which had been recently  updated on my phone, which meant the app needed all of my information again, only to realize that the PIN had worn off my meter and I couldn’t enter it into the app.

Holy run-on sentence, but the end result is no PIN?  No upload.  No upload?  No data access.

Pain in the ass, that is.  Had I known, I would not have updated the app on my phone.  Had I known, I would have written the PIN down on a piece of paper.

But wait a second … I was just at Joslin with my endocrinologist, and she was able to plug my meter into her computer and upload my data.  No PIN, no hassle.  She had some magical data system that siphoned my health data into their files.  How come my doctor can access my data but I can’t?

The guy who talked to me for ages on the One Touch customer service line was very nice, and very helpful, only ultimately couldn’t do anything other than offer to send me a new meter (which still has not arrived).

“You’ll receive a shipping label to return the old meter,”  he mentioned.

“Can I wait a few weeks to return it?  I want to see if my doctor can get the data off that meter before I send it back.  I want those numbers, if I can get them,” I asked.

“Sure thing.  Not a problem.”

So he was very nice.  But the underlying problem here is that the data on that meter is mine.  My glucose data, generated every morning, every time I eat, and every night before bed.  It’s the specifics of my diabetes day, dictating the content of my dinner plate and influencing the integrity of my CGM sensor.  That information is mine.  And yet my doctor has the key to open access but I do not.  She has a “pro” account but I’m managing my disease daily, and yet I can’t access my own data from my own machine.

This doesn’t make sense. It’s my data! This problem can be fixed once patients are given the tools to manage their condition, instead of information being held behind a wall of medical privilege. You know … once we’re viewed as “pros,” too.

UPDATE: Lifescan called me a few minutes ago. Here’s the rundown:

1. I wonder if there’s a way to hack the back-end of it and get the PIN number? (and wow that was a totally weird sentence.) Hmm.. I may see if I can find anything out on that one.

Also, when you get the new one, maybe get a cheap cut-to-size screen protector to put on the back of it so you can’t rub the numbers off… and put it in a Note in your iPhone too. 😀

02/11/16; 10:37 am
    • Also, do you have to have the clinical version of Diasend to upload it there? I see it’s listed in compatible devices list.

02/11/16; 11:03 am
      • I have the patient version of Diasend. But that’s what I mean – clinics have access, but patients don’t?!

02/11/16; 11:15 am
        • I was able to upload mine to my patient Diasend account. Also, you can upload it to Reveal with a USB via their Data Transfer Tool – I believe they have a Mac version. At least that way you can get the data off of it? Hope this helps. Sorry about the situation.

02/11/16; 2:25 pm
    • I talked with customer service for a while and they ‘assured’ me that my options were borderline non-existent. 🙁

02/11/16; 11:16 am
  2. Thanks for sharing this, Kerri. Very odd to not have backups, but not surprising. I saw same thing with the MedT CGM transmitters, that have a special code on the back you have to enter into the pump… except, what if you forgot and already stuck it onto your skin!?! Yes, you can try to take it off carefully, but you risk tearing off the not-great stickiness and messing up the sensor. It’d be great if that code was on the box, or in a “device settings” screen on the device itself or uploaded online (kind of how Dexcom’s G4 does it with that info, and MedT has all your past ID/PINs listed in the Carelink web system itself. Totally agree that WE should have access to whatever our doctor’s do, relating to OUR data. Oh, and why didn’t I ever use Verio Sync, when I did use the OneTouch UltraLink before? Blame MedT, since they changed to Contour and I am just lazy and like the auto-linking so I don’t have to manually enter more data.

02/11/16; 11:06 am
  3. Danielle #

Hi Kerrie,

I use the OneTouch Ultra mini and am not quite satisfied. I got all excited reading the first part of your post regarding the meter, but I have an Android phone and I’m sticking with it. Does this work with android? I couldn’t find any info on it and thought you might know.

Thanks!

02/11/16; 11:12 am
  4. I completely agree about the ‘the data on that meter is mine’ statement.

I upgraded to the Dexcom G5, and now I can’t access my own data the way I want. The G5 won’t connect to the Studio software and the online/iOS Clarity application will not export the data. Dexcom has my data and I can only view and use it in their applications. I work in the ‘data’ industry and the best software always allow for a raw data export. This should be a standard.

Personally – I loved the One Touch Ultra Smart. I am a MDI person, and the ability to store and keep track of insulin doses and carb counts was great. I upgraded to the Verio IQ and I miss that ability to store this information. Considering that the Verio test strips cost more than the older strips, I will probably switch back to my discontinued Ultra Smart when my IQ strips run out.

Arg!

02/11/16; 11:28 am
    • Leah #

I use a pump, but on the rare occasion when I switch to MDI, I use an IOS app called RapidCalc. It calculates the dose for you based on I:C and stores all the info, and it also tells you insulin on board in case you have to stack doses.

02/11/16; 7:26 pm
  5. Katy #

I feel condescended to and I don’t even use that app.

02/11/16; 12:45 pm
  6. I have the same issue with my Medtronic Minimed pump + CGM downloads to their Carelink system.

I can do a download and get reports – but my Endo downloads and gets nicer, more helpful graphs/reports. Not fair!

I could more easily pinpoint problem trends and make informed decisions between appointments if I had access to the “pro-level” reports that the doc has. #techfail

02/11/16; 2:33 pm
    • Ana #

I totally agree with you! Same hardware and issues here! I’m working with my endo on finding a way to make my point clear and access the “pro” version. I guess patients are sometimes perceived as not able to manage/understand/process data the same way as health care providers…

02/11/16; 8:21 pm
      • And yet we are encouraged to “take control of our diabetes.”

02/11/16; 10:18 pm
  7. Tim Steinert #

Developing Type 1 is like being handed a baby, without the nine months advance warning! Now, I’m suddenly entrusted with the care and control of something that doesn’t want to be controlled. I’m originally given JUST enough info to be a horrible parent. And when I try to get access to the information and graphs my endo has, I’m told it’s for medical professionals.

So, let me get this straight. You trust me to inject or pump a hormone that can control my disease or kill me, but I can’t see my data and use the best software to interpret it? Make up your mind! Either I’m in charge of dealing with this disease or I’m not!

02/11/16; 4:31 pm
    • Ana #

Good point! Diabetes is like a newborn baby (for ever and ever) it doesn’t come with a user manual…

02/11/16; 8:24 pm