Gadgets and Gizmos.

Getting dressed this morning and trying to shove an insulin pump and a Dexcom sensor and not map the silhouette of my dress with pump tubing was an exercise in frustration, and that song from The Little Mermaid kept going through my head.

“I’ve got gadgets and gizmos aplenty … I’ve got whosits and whatsits galore …”

But I sat at breakfast during my meeting today and elected tea over actual food because my blood sugar, despite excellent technology and fastidious care, was elevated and stubborn about staying that way.  Despite best efforts, diabetes was still a pain in the ass this morning, and there wasn’t much I could do about it.

And that urge for a cure, some version of it, became strong.  Come on, research.  Come on, artificial pancreas teams.  Come on, islets.

I want more.

1. Stacy #

“There will be a cure in 5 years!”

I was told that at my diagnosis… 14 years ago. Still waiting butt not so patiently and much more vocal.

01/15/16; 11:28 am
  2. Danielle #

Love the Lil’ M references…

Feel like this year has been the year of less patience for me. Really hoping, wishing, for that next big step. iLet would be nice but a CURE … oh the party we will have!

01/15/16; 3:47 pm
  3. David #

So… Are you saying you want more?? 😉

01/15/16; 5:11 pm
  4. Abbott Smith #

So, I would suggest not sitting on your pump and other devices as a way to avoid posterior pain, but I don’t wear a dress either.

01/15/16; 7:26 pm
  5. Oh now you’re just begging me to cover this song. Don’t twist my arm.

01/15/16; 7:29 pm
  6. Joanna #

I think may NEED a shirt with this slogan on it! Awesome.

01/15/16; 9:02 pm
  7. It’s been a while since I’ve been able to read your blog. Wish it was under better circumstances. Hang in there.

01/15/16; 9:52 pm
  8. Sean #

Melissa, I’m twisting…

01/15/16; 10:36 pm
  9. Just hate those time when the big D just won’t play ball, on days that don’t go to plan I always try to remind myself that my sons numbers would be even worse if I hadn’t tried so hard, whilst that correction might not have brought him down, hopefully it stopped him rising further. As for the gadgets and gizmos…I’m constantly telling myself how far technology has come and look back at shortly after diagnosis, a time of multiple injections and finger pricks. His insulin pump and sensor have made such a difference to our lives.

01/19/16; 7:16 am
  10. Jillian #

Wherever would she clip her pump! And I don’t think she could hide it in those seashells.

01/29/16; 7:25 pm