Diabetes on the Red Carpet … Ish.

For Chris’s Sea of Trees premiere this past weekend at the Cannes Film Festival, diabetes was almost the furthest thing from my mind because we were so damn excited about the event.

Diabetes came into play for a brief moment when I was looking for a dress. I tried to adopt a “dress first, diabetes second” philosophy, picking a dress that felt comfortable and pretty without caring if my insulin pump fit into it. After spending some time looking for and trying on a bunch of dresses (a post I’ll never write, because I made the mistake of looking for formal ball gowns in the same week that girls were shopping for their prom dresses, leaving the ladies that worked at the dress shops very confused about why this older woman was coming in amongst the sea of teenyboppers and leaving me just as confused about my place in this world of women … not my best moments), I settled on a navy blue dress that hit the marks for fancy and comfortable without making me feel like I was trying to be someone I was not. Trouble was, my insulin pump did not fit into the dress easily. Or at all. Instead, it felt once again like I was clomping around with a toaster clipped to me. Which is why I decided to go on injections for the night and not wear my pump. Going MDI meant I needed my CGM data more than ever, though, so I kept my Dexcom sensor on my lower back, underneath some of the lace overlay for the dress, which perfectly masked the subtle bulge of the transmitter. (Hee hee … bulge.)

Thankfully, going back to injections and monitoring via Dexcom receiver wasn’t too tricky because my insulin pens fit easily into the glittery clutch I had for the night, as did a tube of Glucolift. I decided not to carry a glucose meter for the night because it was too bulky. Chris tucked my Dexcom receiver into the inside pocket of his tuxedo (“You turned it to vibrate, right?” “Yes, I promise you won’t go off during your own movie.”) I deliberately ran at the 160 – 180 range so I wouldn’t go so low as to need a snack or so high as to need to dash to the bathroom.

Aside from checking my Dexcom a few times before we arrived at the event, diabetes took a wicked back seat to the whole experience. Instead, we were able to focus on the surreal aspects of the event itself.

Cannes SEA OF TREES red carpet

A photo posted by Kerri Sparling (@sixuntilme) on

CSparl on the red carpet

A photo posted by Kerri Sparling (@sixuntilme) on

After party for SEA OF TREES at the Cannes Film Festival.

A photo posted by Kerri Sparling (@sixuntilme) on

After a grumbly critical review the day before, it was amazing to watch the filmmakers receive a two and a half minute standing ovation after the screening. I have always felt proud of Chris and I recognize his tremendous talent as a writer (insert all my bias here), but it was so nice to hear from people who felt the same way, both in his industry and in our diabetes community alike. We are very grateful for everyone’s support, and it means the world to me to know our DOC family supports one another in diabetes-related ventures and decidedly non-diabetes adventures.

Thanks for being there on this insanely odd, hard-earned, and exciting journey, you guys. I’m forever grateful.

1. I shopped for my wedding dress during prom season. Their budgets were MUCH larger than mine. It was really fucking awkward to be like “GOT ANYTHING BIGGER AND CHEAPER?????”

I digress.

You are absolutely glowing in these photos, I love how the pride you have in your husband is absolutely bouncing off your face.

I can’t wait to get my McConaughey-ab clutch 😉

05/19/15; 12:03 pm
    • We broke that clutch in like whoa. It will be en route to you once I get back home. 🙂

05/19/15; 5:57 pm
  2. Congratulations to Chris…again. It was so fun to be on the sidelines and watch all of your amazing fun! Thank you for sharing this bit of non-diabetes life with us. Way to rock the D! A prime example of how D is there but not always in the front seats of our lives. Have to know: Did you get to have conversations with anyone famous (other than, you know, Chris)? If so, how many F-bombs did you drop? 😉 <3

05/19/15; 12:12 pm
    • I went full Table 10 as often as I could … like a lady. 😉 xo

05/19/15; 5:56 pm
  3. Amanda Stone #

You looked stunning! Great choice! Congrats to your Hubby!

05/19/15; 1:51 pm
  4. ria #

awwwww
    Congrats to both of you…..you rock !
    p.s. you both look stunning

05/19/15; 3:55 pm
  5. Michelle #

Well done! You’re living your life, and you’re controlling your diabetes in your way. There is no one perfect way to deal with diabetes, and being able to change it up when the need arises is a great lesson for everyone to learn.

05/19/15; 4:56 pm
  6. Lorrian #

Kerri – congratulations to team Sparling! You both look stunning. What an exciting time for you both. Thank you for giving us a peek into your personal life and showing us that one can still celebrate and not let diabetes hold us back from enjoying our time.

05/19/15; 6:02 pm
  7. Sierra Sandison #

Gah. I’m so glad I read this. I always feel so much pressure from followers and parents if my insulin pump is out of sight 🙁 “Why aren’t you showing your pump, Miss Idaho?”

Because I’m human…and don’t always want my diabetes to be the center of attention. I want to escape it and ignore it sometimes just like every other teenager.
    This was a good reminder that it’s not a sin to feel like that! <3

05/19/15; 9:21 pm
    • It’s about LIFE, not diabetes! Show your pump when you damn well feel like it. xo

05/20/15; 6:04 am
    • Wow. This d-parent thinks it’s great that you (and Kerri) don’t always want diabetes to be the center of everything. Do what works for you and live life!! You both always look amazing and make genuine decisions. The latter is what makes you both fantastic role models for our kids.

05/20/15; 10:59 am
  8. JustJenny #

On a separate note, guess what?! I was looking through a school supply catalog at work today and it had library furniture, book racks, book holders and so on, and in one of the photos for a book display rack, it had……drumroll…..your book!

I couldn’t believe it, I was so excited! I told my students, “I know her! Well, I read her blog, and I met her once in a bathroom, so I sort of know her but I love her! And here is her book in this catalog!” Funny, they were not as excited about this as I was.

05/19/15; 11:21 pm
  9. betsy #

Congratulations! I love non-diabetes stuff on diabetes blogs – but of course, like the dress and your entire dress selection process diabetes always peeks through. Gorgeous pair and super YAY for one of those incredible lifetime experiences. Happy to share your pride and joy in this moment.

05/20/15; 10:57 am
  10. I so love this, and it’s been a long time coming. Congratulations, Chris!

I’m so freaking proud of you. (and you, too, Kerri. And you, Birdie. The whole Sparling crew)

I absolutely can’t wait to see this movie.

And I think I’ve told you this before, but my niece, Xavi, dreams of being a screenwriter because of our association and her loving Chris’s work. 🙂

05/20/15; 11:33 pm
  11. Melinda #

Am I the only goob who didn’t know your hubby was a writer? And, um, hello good looking couple!

Oh, and Sierra’s comment here–awesomesauce.

05/22/15; 8:59 am
    • It’s okay! I don’t talk very much about his work here on my blog. But he’s a screenwriter and an excellent dad. Those are his two jobs. 🙂

05/22/15; 10:15 am
  12. Emily #

What movie did he make this time? I watched the atm one and was blown away. I want to see this other movie.

05/22/15; 10:11 am
  13. Joy #

That’s amazing. Congratulations to your husband. What a fantastic experience for you all.

05/25/15; 2:53 pm