Looking Back: Complications.

As I head up to the Joslin Clinic today to have my eyeballs, and my soul, looked at to make sure both are fine, I was reminded of this video from last year about diabetes-related complications.  I still stand by the sentiment that you owe it to yourself to live the best life possible, even with whatever you’ve got.

Hopefully today goes well. Either way, I’m on it.

1. Best of luck… love the attitude.

02/26/15; 11:35 am
  2. Tim Steinert #

Those movie-of-the week (nee Halmark) cliches of overcoming problems are trite and annoying. I’ve overcome my diabetes! Followed by a day where I’m sensorless and my tubing becomes occluded and I don’t know it for most of the day.

Before I realize this I think I need a new glasses prescription–until I remember the next day that blurry vision can be caused by high BGs.

Frankly, I don’t need a “You’re inspiring!” as much as I need a knowing fist bump from a fellow T1. Forget yesterday. Let’s do this thing.

02/26/15; 2:02 pm
  3. Martha #

And really, what more can you do but take it as it comes? Even so, good luck. And, yes, no shame allowed. We are all doing the best we can under very challenging circumstances, us PWD’s!

02/26/15; 4:10 pm
  4. DrBB #

That was superb! I joke about the times when I feel like I’ve been A Bad Diabetic, but it’s kind of not a joke because that’s the insidious message we get all the time isn’t it. I’ve had T1 for 30 years and so far no complications. But your experience made me aware of what a brittle state that actually is for me–like I have so much invested in being able to say that, and taking credit for it (for being A Good Diabetic!) that I’m totally emotionally unprepared for dealing with it if something does finally turn up. Given how p.o.’d I get as it is when I get some spike I can’t account for–that feeling like “I’m doing everything I can goddamit where the heck did this come from???” when some bubbles in my delivery system or who knows what has happened–and I feel discouraged enough to through the damn pump across the room…. a LOT of which is triggered by feelings of self-accusation (Bad Diabetic!) … I hate to think about how I’d respond to a dx of some additional T1-induced problem.

So THANK YOU, because I think I’ve tried to put a big blinder around the whole topic, which is no way to prepare for it, and your response is a model I’m really really glad to now have in my head.

02/26/15; 5:10 pm
  5. Jenn #

Thank you for reposting this. After a doctor appointment earlier this week I really needed this reminder that it’s okay if complications happen. It doesn’t mean I failed. That is the hardest thing to remember when facing extra challenges. I. Did. Not. Fail.

02/26/15; 5:31 pm
  6. My thoughts are with you and wishing you the best,

02/26/15; 7:19 pm
  7. Dennis D #

Thank you Kerri for this insightful “look back”. Yes, we must keep trying and yes it takes effort. Thankfully I’ve been able to live a full and productive life raising a family and now assisting with the next generation despite my struggles with T1D for 58 years.

It has been a lot of work and now life appears to be so much easier with our choices of assistive technology. cheers to a full life!

how are your eyes? I remember being told in 1966 that I had diabetic retinopathy and “probably would see for another 2 years” and then I met Dr. Lloyd Aiello who was selecting guinea pigs for an experiment with a ruby laser beam; had first laser treatment in 1967 and last week the ophthalmologist told me my eyes are just great.

02/26/15; 9:04 pm
  8. Kathleen #

Great post!! Really inspirational. Thank you for that!

02/26/15; 10:12 pm
  9. Thank you Kerri for posting your video. Although I remember it from last year, it was very comforting to hear again. I hope your appointment went well and the news was good.

I was diagnosed with macula edema in 1982, after three years of struggling to complete my MFA thesis show and attempting to get answers to sudden vision problems. It was after 27 years of living with type 1. You learn to adapt, to make work arounds if possible and if not, try a different approach. Each time since then I’ve gone through the process of trying a variation, searching for a different solution. Life doesn’t stop… and neither will I.

02/26/15; 10:44 pm
  10. Dan #

Hi Kerri,
    A great presentation including a special attitude regarding your and our challenges. It is written in the Declaration of Independence – the pursuit of happiness. It takes work and best of success. As always have a great day.
    Dan