#WalkWithD: Lorrian’s Type 2 Experience.

(This might look familiar to you …)  A few weeks ago, I wrote about how I was seeking to learn more about my peers with diabetes, specifically folks with type 2 diabetes.  Living with type 1 diabetes myself, it’s hard to me to “walk a mile in their shoes,” so to speak, when I felt so uninformed about type 2 diabetes in the first place.  A few people left comments on that post, and I’ve been working to bring more of their journey with type 2 diabetes into the forefront, so I can learn from them, and so we can learn as a community.

Last week, John shared his story, and this week, Lorrian is sharing hers.  Lorrian Ippoliti has been living with type 2 diabetes for almost 11 years, she is a native Californian, and she has been married to her husband, Mike, for nine years.  Today, I’m grateful that she’s sharing her #walkwithd.

*   *   *

The year before my diagnosis, my primary care physician called me and told me that my annual blood work showed that my “sugar (was) high” and that I “should watch it.”  Watch my sugar? What did that mean?  I didn’t ask, and my doctor didn’t offer.  [She certainly didn’t say anything about pre-diabetes]

The following year, my doctor’s office asked me to return so my doctor could review my blood work in person.  My doctor told me I had type 2 diabetes, gave me a sheet of paper about low carb diets, a prescription for Glucovance, and told me to “call me after you pick a meter.”  [My A1c was 13.4, but she didn’t explain what that meant]

That. Was. It.

No referral to an endocrinologist, no suggestions for reading materials or classes, no direction on how to choose/where to find a meter, and I was too stunned and frightened to ask any questions.

My husband and I researched diabetes (thank goodness for the Internet) and made drastic changes to our diet because of our fear, which led to multiple hypoglycemic episodes (chugging fruit juice in Costco, anyone?).  A coworker of mine explained to me about meters and showed me how to test, and a coworker of my husband’s referred me to an endocrinologist.

The endo took me off Glucovance, which eliminated most of my hypo episodes.

Even with my husband’s support, the first 8 years were awful, full of misery and fear and guilt.  The drastic diet changes we’d made were hard to sustain and I was constantly battling food and trying to make sense of how my body reacted to it.  I somehow got my A1c below 7, only to have it climb back up to the 11-ish range as I alternately rebelled or gave into feelings of helplessness.

Eventually, that endo told me there was nothing else medically she could do for me.  Yeah, a doctor gave up on me.

I completely gave up on myself after that.  I continued to take my medications, but for about a year I didn’t see any doctors at all.  I didn’t think anyone could help me or would listen to me.  (Even my dermatologist argued with me about the name of one of my diabetes medications, insisting that there was no such thing as Glimepiride and writing down Glyburide in my chart instead, so I gave up on him!)

Eventually, my husband told me how worried he was about me and that he wanted me to live for a long time.  Mike had found a nutritional therapist and we began seeing her as a couple.  Then he asked me to see his primary care physician, who turned out to be the first doctor to listen to my frustrations and fear.  He was so caring and agreed to manage my medications, but told me he wanted me to find an endo and gave me a six month deadline.

I found a new endocrinologist who is kind and compassionate, and both a cheerleader and a taskmaster.  She listens to me, celebrates my small victories, and pushes me to accomplish more than I believed I could.   Was there anything she medically she could do for me?  Sure!  She tweaked my medications, taking me off Glimepiride, increasing my Actos, and adding Lantus (insulin) and Victoza (an injectable which slows the emptying of my stomach).  (These medications were all available when I was seeing the previous endo.)

I’ve gained weight using Lantus, but my A1c has decreased from 11-ish to 7-ish.  I’m also back to having hypo episodes (one or two a month).  It’s a frustrating trade-off.

About two years ago my endo prescribed a Dexcom CGM, which has helped change my outlook about having diabetes.

For example, my endo wants me to have a glucose level of 100 mg/dl when I wake, which has been impossible for me to achieve and made me feel like a failure.  Using the CGM revealed that I have dawn phenomenon.  Seeing my glucose level in action relieved a lot of frustration – and – my endo can see that I hang out around 100 mg/dl for much of the night, but my level usually rises 30-40 points starting around 4:30am.  Plus, as an accountant I’m a data geek and having access to my numbers round the clock has helped me see patterns related to food and activity.

It has been an arduous journey since my diagnosis.  I’ve gone through the various stages of grief – indeed multiple times it seems – and I believe I’ve finally arrived at acceptance.  I can live with diabetes.

Kerri’s blog has been a touchstone for me throughout my journey – her openness about the challenges she faces have helped me know that I’m not alone, and I especially appreciate learning about the technology available to us.  In fact, my endo was impressed that I already knew what a CGM was, and now I’ve added CGM in the Cloud/The Nightscout Project to my diabetes management. (I HIGHLY recommend it!)

I share John’s outlook on what the designation type 1 vs. type 2 means.   Despite how we each developed diabetes, I feel that those of us with the disease share many more similarities than differences.   I want to thank Kerri from the bottom of my heart for inviting me to share my story and I’m looking forward to the future.

Thank you so much for sharing your story, Lorrian!!!

1. zip #

Thanks for sharing your story! I’m horrified when I hear about some of the experiences people have with doctors — like the one that gave up on you! I once had an endo tell me that she couldn’t work with my numbers. What is that supposed to mean?? Best of luck to you … glad you finally found some good info and support! It sounds like your husband is awesome.

11/10/14; 2:14 pm
    • Lorrian #

Thank you! Yes, my husband IS awesome, and I’m awfully sorry your endo said that to you.

I’ve also come to accept that doctors are human and subject to the same feelings of frustration that we have – BUT – I do believe it is their responsibility to find a better way to phrase their frustration rather than adding to our feelings of failure. One big thing I’ve learned through all this is that I can speak up and advocate for myself. If my endo said something like that to me now, I know I’d be able to have a conversation about it and ask what she really meant.

11/10/14; 2:57 pm
  2. Allison #

I was SO lucky to have a “mentor” take me by the hand through the challenging world of diabetes when I was first diagnosed. I was a “honeymooning Type 1.5” apparently, and was mentored by a FANTASTIC man/coworker who had Type 2. He and his wife took me to the grocery store and taught me all about food labels, and also how to keep a food/bg diary, and how to stand up to my doctors. Unfortunately, I’ve had to stand up to my doctors far more often than I’ve received useful guidance from them. Kerri’s blog has been a great resource for getting pointed to different books/products/consultants that really really help my diabetes lifestyle. As for Lantus, I was on it for nine years until I switched to an insulin pump. Ultimately, I was always stuck with either dawn phenomenon highs when using a lower dose of Lantus or middle of the night lows with a higher dose of Lantus. I chose the higher dose for years and would have to drink a juice box in the middle of the night every night to deal with the lows. That’s bad for your teeth, let me tell ya! But I totally get it. Good luck to you and to all of us!

11/10/14; 3:47 pm
  3. Lorrian, thank you so much for sharing your story. Your experience with your physicians, the ones who didn’t listen to you, are sad examples of very incomplete medical care. It’s wonderful that your husband supports and encourages you in all the times of up and downs. It’s also very good that you now feel strong enough to be your own advocate, because I can assure you that you’ll need to be a persistent voice when working in partnership with your doctors to manage life with diabetes. I send my best wishes for good health and continued happiness.

Janis (type 1 dx 1955)

11/10/14; 9:11 pm
  4. Thank you, Lorrian for sharing your story here (and Kerri, for continuing this series and offering this perspective). I continue to be floored by how doctors handle — or don’t handle — a diabetes diagnosis. This is a post that I want to print out and share with general practice docs across the board, as a How To NOT Do This. Incredibly disappointing, but I’m so happy to hear about the real life and DOC connections you made along the way.

11/11/14; 3:18 pm
  5. Christine #

I started to tear up, thinking of a doctor who just gave up on you. Who does that?!?!

Even if I’m a type 1, I have had many of the same experiences that you had (hellooooo, Lantus lows), and any time I hear about diabetics – regardless of whether they’re type 1 or 2 – I feel a kinship. Thank you for sharing your story.

11/11/14; 3:58 pm
  6. This is a great article/story. Thank you Kerri for posting this. 🙂 I read a lot of Diabetes sites. Most pertain to Type 1 and the struggles. I see some of the same struggles that I go through as a Type 2 diabetic and relate on so many levels, even though the disease is a totally different animal for Type 1s. I’m hoping that we can all be together in this fight for awareness and advocacy, and I am really passionate about hope for a cure. I want to thank Mike from DiabetesMine for sending me over to this link and this story. 🙂 Again, I really, really appreciate you posting Lorrian’s story. 🙂 I just shared on my Facebook wall as well.

11/12/14; 11:43 am
  7. Martha #

What a great story. I don’t know enough about life with Type 2, but I can see the similarities here. I had a hot shot doctor who made me feel bad about my control when I was in my early 20’s when I was already so guilt-ridden about it and so vulnerable about every aspect of life. There is no excuse for that. It takes a while to find your way, I think, with this very complex disease, and to find the right people who support you wherever you are with it. As for the disease itself, either Type 1 or 2, I think the learning never stops and being a data geek ROCKS when it comes to diabetes management.

11/12/14; 4:35 pm
  8. Brenda #

Lorrain, thank you for sharing your story. For the first time I feel connected to another person with diabetes. I was diagnosed nine years ago & have lived in denial. On line, people post about their numbers and I feel like, wow if I had their “bad” numbers (200). That would be a great day for me. Thanks again, you filled me with hope. Brenda

11/14/14; 8:46 am
    • Lorrian #

Brenda!

I’m so very sorry you’ve felt disconnected.

I try to remind myself that numbers (weight, glucose, A1c, age!) aren’t bad or good. Instead numbers are a measurement of how things are ‘right not’. They can always change. You and I are NOT our numbers…we are so very much more than just our numbers.

Unfortunately, our numbers tend to be where our doctors focus because the numbers are part of their jobs.

I’m glad that my story has given you hope…your comment filled my eyes with tears.

If you’d like to connect via email, you can find me at meowlam AT me DOT com

xoxoxoxoxoxo