HypoPedicure.

“Mom, can I [something something] ?”

“Sure, kiddo,” I responded.  But I had no idea what she was asking me – her words were swirling around in the fog of my brain.  My blood sugar was 38 mg/dL and my Dexcom was wailing.  Chris was a few feet away, stirring something on the stove while he kept an eye on his wife.  “My blood sugar is really low, so I’m going to sit here for a few minutes.”

“Okay, that’s fine.  Do you need some glucose tabs?” she asked, sitting on the floor near my feet.

“I already had some.  I’ll be okay in a minute.  Don’t worry.”

What was directly in front of me hard sharp edges of focus, but everything on the peripheral was hard to see.  My body was concentrating on chewing and swallowing and trying to slow down the speed of my heartbeat in my ears.  I knew stable blood sugars were coming, but they needed a glucose jump-start.

“Okay, Mom.  I’ll just do this while I wait.”

And it wasn’t until later that night, after she had gone to bed and once I was readying myself for sleep, that I realized she spent the duration of my hypoglycemic episode painting my toenails bright pink with a glitter topcoat, globs of glitter and pink stretching all the way up to my ankle.

1. I’m a little disappointed there was not a picture of this to accompany the post. 🙂

10/23/14; 10:52 am
    • I took nail polish remover to it that night. It was EVERYWHERE!! 🙂

10/23/14; 10:53 am
  2. ria #

it is really interesting where our brain goes (or doesn’t go) when bg gets that low
    I could tell a number of stories about those types of episodes…..”Magical Mystery tour” for those of us who are old enough to relate

10/23/14; 11:31 am
  3. Chopstix #

LOL! Now that’s just wrong. Should not catch Mom at her worst time. What goes around…

10/23/14; 2:32 pm
  4. Yeah, I’m kinda with Kristin on this one. But if it were me, I’m not so sure I’d have taken a photo either.

10/23/14; 8:15 pm
  5. Chris could have said something before your ankles got lacquered. I’m sorry you experienced a 38 hypo, definitely not fun. I don’t think I would have enjoyed scrubbing the nail polish/glitter with a hypo hangover, either.

10/23/14; 8:59 pm
  6. Carmen #

I laughed out loud when I read this. So precious, your girl! Thanks for sharing.

10/24/14; 8:13 am