Skip to content

Itch, Please.

I’m allergic to this poison sumac stuff.  Highly.  While Chris can walk around in the woods out back and pick bouquets of poison sumac without issue, I end up with an itchy plague just thinking about it.  Even if I have a full hazmat suit on, I can’t go near the stuff without catching hell.

So I can’t remove it from our yard, but I can’t entirely avoid it because it’s invaded our way-backyard to the point of no return.

I have to approach it with care.

It’s not a huge deal unless I forget it’s there.  When I ignore it or forget about it, I end up covered in the oozing, itchy hives that last for days and cause significant discomfort.  If I go into the woods without thinking ahead, I don’t regret it right away, but a few hours later, I’m riddled with a rash of regret.

… kind of like diabetes.

Which would make my endocrinologist or certified diabetes educator kind of like a landscaper.  They’ve really grown on me, though.  They do so mulch for me, especially when diabetes burnout is in full bloom.  I really dig them.

 

6 Comments Post a comment
  1. ria #

    growing up in N Cal. we had poison oak.
    I took anti poison oak medication and injections for years. I once ended up hospitalized at age 8 so I could be sedated enough so I wouldn’t scratch violently making the sores worse.
    I think the medication may have helped me as well as maybe “outgrowing” the severity of it.
    I am still very careful outdoors living in NE Wis. and actually have a photo magnet held on my fridge with leaves of poison oak, ivy, and sumac.

    08/21/14; 12:38 pm
  2. They sound just wonderful (the endo, the CDE, and Chris. Not the poison sumac).

    I hope they never leaf you.

    08/21/14; 2:01 pm
  3. Jillian #

    Thank you for so many wonderful puns. SO MANY!

    08/21/14; 8:06 pm
  4. Jim #

    OMG – No fair. No leaves of three. How can something so innocuous-looking, be so harmful….Thanks for the heads up!!

    j.b.

    08/21/14; 9:58 pm
  5. Charity #

    As soon as possible after exposure, change clothes and wash with cool water and laundry soap. The sooner you get the “poisonous” oil off your skin – the better. The cool water prevents your pores from opening up and letting the oil in further. It may not completely prevent a reaction but it might help! And let Chris toss your clothes into the washer – the oil is easily transferred!

    08/21/14; 10:26 pm

Leave a Reply

You may use basic HTML in your comments. Your email address will not be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers