Bike Ride.

In one, frantic breath as we prepared to go for a bike ride, Birdy proclaims:

“We need to put a bottle of water in the bike basket and a snack in case I get hungry and a snack in case you get hungry or if you have a low blood sugar and your glucose meter and the glucose tabs in case you have a low blood sugar for real and in case I want to have one – that’s a joke, Mom, but really I can have a teeny, teeny bite if I want one, right? – and I will wear my helmet and you can walk while I ride on my bike and I’ll keep my eyes forward so I don’t fall off.”

Our version of “going for a bike ride” might sound complicated, but we do our thing and we do it well.

1. I need a Birdy to keep me organized. Can I borrow her?

08/18/14; 6:58 pm
  2. I love this! I’ve been reading your blog for at least a couple years now, and I love hearing how Birdy is growing and changing. Funny that for kids of PWD glucose tabs are a treat! As they say, it does go by SO quickly, and it sounds like you’re doing a great job of enjoying the moments…

I remember well when my girls were little, how they’d sneakily eat my little peppermint patties when I went through that phase of treating lows! They thought I didn’t know they could reach the top shelf where I kept them, but I remember finding the wrappers carefully “concealed” in the sock drawer…I kind of miss those days!

08/18/14; 7:17 pm
  3. June S. #

Birdy is so sweet! I sure wish I enjoyed the taste of glucose tablets as much as she does! What flavor is it that she enjoys so much? I wish they’d make chocolate ones, but until then I must settle for Necco wafers!

08/18/14; 7:56 pm
  4. Oh my goodness! That is some sweet little love going on there! Imagine how organized she could be in her life as a result of the thought that has to go into your outings together. I can’t wait to see what she says next.

08/18/14; 10:12 pm
  5. Bobbi #

I did not always love it when my parents reminded me of things I needed for my diabetes, but I do love it when my son thinks about my diabetes and reminds me!

08/20/14; 10:33 pm
  6. The way she takes care of you makes my heart smile!!

08/21/14; 8:11 am