The Dexcom / Mac Dance.

Sharing, because that’s what friends do.

Brian Bosh, living with type 1 diabetes and also apparently a very clever guy, found a workaround for uploading Dexcom G4 data to a Mac computer. Yes, you read that correctly.

“I created Chromadex because I was trying #DIYPS but hated carrying around a second phone. I figured I was close enough to a computer enough of the time that I could run an uploader on there and it would work well enough. There already is an uploader for Windows and Android, but no way to do it on the Mac. (Or Linux for that matter.) Once the uploader was built, though, I thought it really ought to do some of the same things Dexcom Studio did, since that’s not available on Mac either: If I had the data, I might as well offer their reports too. At this point it will upload to #DIYPS, NightScout and run three reports. It still takes a little bit of wrenching to get it to upload and I’d like to make that easier. Had a few people ask if I could make it work with MMOL. I’d like to get more reports working.”

I haven’t downloaded my data yet via this application, but others have:

If you want to try it for yourself, visit the Chrome web store and download Chromadex for free. And if you like how it works, please thank Brian.

#wearenotwaiting

1. It feels good to be fully on board the #WeAreNotWaiting train. Thanks for sharing this, and my tweet.

Have a nice day.

08/13/14; 10:43 am
    • At first glance, I thought you wrote “Thanks for sharing this, my tweet.” Thought it was a term of endearment. :)

08/13/14; 10:47 am
  2. SO HAPPY!

08/13/14; 2:37 pm
  3. Leah M #

Wow–this is brilliant. I might actually download my own data more than every 4-5 months. For others who try this–I had a little trouble initially after downloading. The problem resolved by hitting reset (deleting all the downloaded data) and then downloading again. Thank you Kerri, Chris, and Brian!

08/13/14; 7:30 pm
  4. Melissa #

Love this idea, I’ve been grumbling at Dexcom for 2 years about their lack of Mac integration (on basically every level)… I can’t even use an old Windows laptop to get my daughters reports! I’m still working on trying to get this cool little app to work (it seems to want to say it’s downloading but nothing happens) but as soon as I can figure it out this is a GREAT great thing – thank you so very much for sharing!!

08/13/14; 11:04 pm
  5. Susan Marshall #

I can’t wait until someone creates a phone app for this. Or until the receiver is built into a phone app!

08/15/14; 9:28 am
    • There’s potential there. It doesn’t work — yet — but on certain Android phones it could become possible. Of course any phone that could eventually become possible can ALREADY do it with the Android Uploader ( http://nightscout.info ).

This stuff is still moving fast :)

09/18/14; 12:05 am
  6. Alana #

Thanks for sharing this! Maybe I’m just not tech savvy enough, but after downloading chrome, then downloading the app, then creating an account in MongoLab which is required to run the app, apparently, it still isn’t working for me.

Hoping it works on a day when I have the patience to try again!

09/1/14; 11:02 am
    • Hi Alana- hit me up on Twitter of FB for more support, but…
      You don’t need Mongolab. That’s just for Nightscout integration. Plug in Dex, start app, press download all, and in a couple minutes try grabbing a report.

Note it won’t work at all on old versions of OSX. Sucks but I just don’t have any old Macs to test and troubleshoot against.

09/18/14; 12:03 am
  7. Anne #

Great that you made the dexcom now somewhat compatible with Mac!
    I just can’t manage to export the data properly.. it just turns out as a large list of numbers which I do not recognize as bloodsugers..

11/10/14; 8:15 am

1. Who Is This Brian Bosh and What Is His Favorite Cookie? | Bigfoot Child Have Diabetes
  2. What We're Reading | Quantified SelfQuantified Self