Tuning Back In.

Feeling crummy is a slippery slope for me, in that acknowledging it is a healthy move, but if I cater to it, I’ll get sucked down the rabbit hole of feeling overwhelmingly crummy.  I’m not even sure that makes sense when you read it, but it does to me, so there it stays.

Three years ago, I went through a pronounced emotional slump and it was not my favorite time in life.  I am not interested in going back to that place, emotionally or physically, so I’m attempting to head it off at the pass.

Things That Help Immediately:

Exercising.  Sounds so simple, because it is, but it helps.  Being outside, either walking or running, helps my brain.  It makes me feel better.  Sitting around all day long and staring at my computer trying to make the writing thing happen doesn’t do much for me, but going for a run jogs my brain (ha – weak pun but a pun all the same) back into gear.  It’s like I physically require 10,000 steps in the day before my mind decides to get creative again.  Which is fine by me.

Paying Attention to Food.  When I’m in a crappy mood, I will drink coffee all day and maybe have a protein bar, but that’s it.  And that sucks, because my body needs more diversity/nutrients/how about a hard-boiled egg, motherfucker.  Cooking hasn’t ever been something I’ve enjoyed, but I’ve always liked eating well, and looking back at a day’s worth of food that isn’t dominated by iced coffee and the random Luna bar is a plus.  The better the food, the better I feel.

Engaging in the Moment.  I have a tendency to get tangled up in the to do lists in my mind, and the things I haven’t done yet eat away at me.  To the point of anxiety, which is ridiculous, because so many of those to dos are fun and things I like, yet they’re still stressing me out?  No, no, no.  When I’m on the slippery slope towards Crumbdom, I don’t enjoy the moments I’m in, but instead I fret about the shit I haven’t accomplished yet.  Again: no, no, no.  It helps if I make the conscious decision to ease up a little, like going to the zoo with Birdy instead of staying home and freaking out.  It also helps to hug my kid, and my husband, and the cats.  They are all warm and snuggly creatures, and they make me feel good.

I’m glad there are things I can do to help feel better, to shake off the ennui.  I feel better when I’m doing something, and best when that something involves my family.  I can’t change all of the things that are weighing heavily, but I can refocus on the things that bring me joy, damn it.

1. I’m with you. Been going through some family drama lately, and it’s been weighing on me, but instead of focusing on that, I’m working on focusing on getting into a regular exercise regimen, eating right, and spending quality time with my husband and daughter. Funny story I have to share with you (because, boobs): The other day we were at the pool, and this was the conversation:
    Daughter: Daddy, I can see your boobs
    Husband: I don’t have boobs. Boys don’t have boobs.
    Daughter: But they shake…

Truth :)

08/5/14; 12:03 pm
  2. That last one (Engaging in the Moment) is my biggest problem, by far. Great list of Things That Help Immediately. Thanks.

08/5/14; 12:30 pm
  3. k2 #

Big hugs, thank you for sharing and I can relate.
    Eating healthy is difficult when I’m down in the crumbs of Crumbdom. Coffee in the morning and some yogurt and nothing until late afternoon. Then I Od on the food during and after dinner.
    Engaging in the moment is also hard when anxiety strikes – It can be so bloody paralyzing.
    I’m glad you’re “doing” and getting the love and snuggles you need require and focusing on the joy.
    Kerri, you bring joy to so many & you deserve all the joy that comes your way.
    Xoxo
    Kelly

08/5/14; 1:30 pm
  4. Dan #

Hi Kerri,
    Thanks for sharing and I hope that it helps you. It is a challenge to be thankful for the present. So, I hope you find that the Present has items in this gift. Feel free to open
    the present. The gift box does contain a very special lady and I hope that you can
    remember to spend the time with her. Check with Pandora.
    As always have a great day.

Dan

08/5/14; 1:41 pm
  5. Kerri,
    It’s very good that you’re aware of where you are emotionally and what to do to change the direction. You’ve done a lot of traveling this year. I think you might have overestimated how quickly you could recover and might simply be very tired. Hope you have the chance to give yourself time to slow down some, and to enjoy this last month of summer with family and friends.
    Sending hugs,

Janis

08/5/14; 10:50 pm
  6. A lot of times, just putting our head down and getting through it is all we can do. Enduring is an important part of our existence. I’m confident you’re on the right track, as focusing on family, love and our blessings help ease the ache.

I’m thankful that hard times don’t last forever. It’s temporary, and we can totally handle temporary. Every day is a day closer to better. That’s progress, and that’s what’s important.

08/6/14; 1:16 am
  7. Susan #

This past weekend all my family drama had my stress and numbers up. And then I got blood in my infusion set last night and a handy 424 reading.

Thanks for being real – the blah moments are real too.

08/6/14; 8:51 am
  8. Deb Ellingwood #

well written and it helps to hear your thoughts echoed by others….happy or not so happy. Thank you-

08/6/14; 9:48 am