Video: Diabetes Complications.

I feel like when people are diagnosed with diabetes-related complications, all of a sudden they feel like they have to hide somewhere and they aren’t allowed to talk about it, so they’re not able to get the support that they need to deal with this new diagnosis.

My macular edema diagnosis didn’t mark the end of my life as a healthy person; it just marks the beginning of a new journey with a new health condition.

You owe it to yourself to live the best life possible.  Even with whatever you’ve got.

1. Love this.

06/11/14; 10:55 am
  2. Very well said, Kerri.
    I have multiple complications and take great pride that I invest effort and determination to continue to live an active and productive life.
    And, I turn the other ear when people imply that I developed the complications due to lack of self-care.

06/11/14; 10:55 am
    • I look up to you so much re: all of this. You are a real inspiration, Kathy. xo

06/11/14; 10:57 am
  3. Thank you for helping me learn that I can yell: “Hell, yes!” while sobbing.

I’m still sobbing.

And I’m still yelling: “Hell, yes!”

Thank you.

06/11/14; 11:14 am
  4. Thank you, Kerri, for encouraging positive energy and communication around this topic. It is so needed, and you being brave enough to share this goes a long way.

06/11/14; 11:43 am
  5. Thanks – I needed to hear this today!!

06/11/14; 2:29 pm
  6. Superbly put. Thank you.

06/11/14; 2:40 pm
  7. I’m so glad to hear someone say this out loud. Thanks

06/11/14; 2:59 pm
  8. mere knight #

Hi! Thanks for this. I think that the DOC and this blog in particular have helped me accept life with the DBs and given me some awesome tricks of the trade alongside a healthy and needed dose of inspiration. We all know that complications are another part of that life. And it does feel like they’re cloaked with a little bit of shame, even among people who are so open about everything else. I think that mirrors the attitude I find in health care providers, too. So thanks for talking about this. Let’s do it more. Tally ho!

06/11/14; 5:37 pm
  9. You are such an inspiration! Thank you for being such a great advocate for diabetes.

06/11/14; 6:18 pm
  10. Denise Lee #

Kerri,
    So well said, so true. There are so many other forces to blame for complications other than lack of self-care. Everyone does the best they can with the cards they’re dealt, and no one should feel shame when these things happen, not by doctors, friends, family, acquaintances. You’re such a great advocate on every level.

06/11/14; 9:46 pm
  11. And you know, we have done the same thing with cancer patients and others.

As Samuel Huntington said, we define ourselves by comparing ourselves to others. It often happens individually as well as nationally. The Cold War was between us and those “godless commies.” On and on.

How often have we heard, “Well, if they had only taken better care of themselves?” Maybe they were doing the best they could.

I love exercise. I love the personal challenge, I love the achievement. But, I was exercising long before I wound up with T1D.

I sometimes wonder if I still would be exercising, If I hadn’t been before I was diagnosed?

We’re not here to pass judgment, we’re here to help each other out. The world works much better that way.

06/11/14; 11:05 pm
  12. Shannon #

YES! Thank you for speaking up about the “unspeakable”. Also, holy crap do you talk fast! ;)

06/12/14; 1:41 am
  13. Jim #

Amen.

06/12/14; 9:58 am
  14. ria #

you are right …… Life IS complicated
    we type 1′s are tough, strong, bounce back people
    way stronger than our non diabetic , “normal”co exsisters
    Amen and amen !

06/12/14; 11:57 am
  15. Bruce #

Avastin shots? Been getting them for a couple of years. A bother but better than other choices.

06/16/14; 11:02 pm
  16. Nick Argento #

Thanks for saying it. Blame the disease, not the person. IT’S HARD TO HAVE TYPE 1 DIABETES! For anyone, for everyone…and it does not always go well…

06/18/14; 10:19 pm

1. Here they are: June 2014 Best of the ‘Betes Blogs! | Diabetes Blog - Happy-Medium.net