LEGO Easter Robot.

Easter morning dawned bright and early (with a confused little Bird wondering about the strange relationship that appeared to be in place between her parents and a giant bunny).  Egg hunt, breakfast, and then off to visit relatives throughout the day.

Easter has always been one of those “Sunday best” holidays in my family, where people dust off their dresses and shirt-and-tie ensembles and work a higher octane look for the holiday.  I like this tradition.  I like dressing up once in a while.  (It’s a stark contrast to my work-from-home attire, which only includes a nice shirt on the days when I have a video conference call … notice I didn’t mention anything about nice pants.)

But holy eff did I want to throw out every single diabetes device yesterday and go back to shots for a few hours, all because of one, stupid dress.

The dress I wore didn’t have any pockets.  It was a fit-and-flare style dress, which meant that it was cinched in a bit at the waist and didn’t leave a lot of room for my insulin pump to be stashed in the waistband of my tights without looking bulky.  And the disco boobs route wasn’t a good fit, because the dress was fitted in such a way that the pump looked like a giant LEGO stuffed into my dress.  My Dexcom sensor kept getting caught on my tights (I wear the sensor on my outer thigh) and looked again like I was infusing LEGOs to random parts of my body.

I was the LEGO Easter Robot, and it was frustrating.

But despite my fashion-related bitching, it was better for me to keep devices on this time, instead of trying to make the flip to MDI (multiple daily injections) for the day.  Despite eating several times throughout the day and indulging in foods that are historically rough on my blood sugars (read: Peeps), my blood sugars stayed reasonably in range, and I was able to stalk my numbers on my Dexcom graph.

Sometimes it’s better for me to embrace being a robot.

1. Between disco boobs (HILARIOUS) and LEGO Easter Robot, I’m now in pain from the laughing. Really. I use a yoga ball as a desk chair, and … well, I fell off it. So I’ma blame you, right?

04/21/14; 7:41 pm
  2. Kathy #

My son has a Dexcom and is in the process of getting an Omnipod. He’s been wearing the trial pod to get the feel of things, and he calls himself a Cyborg. ;) Totally cool for a 10yo – but I totally get your frustration!

04/21/14; 8:01 pm
  3. Wrote basically the same post today. Had to dig out the meter remote for the Ping (for bolusing only, used other meter for the check, ugh!) because my dress didn’t have pockets and other placement would have been supe awk. How bad is it that I think it was worth it because I got a few compliments on the dress.

Happy Spring!

04/22/14; 4:34 am
  4. I wrote a post last week titled, “Just Wear the Dress” about wearing a dress and accepting the facts that 1. I looked good in the dress and 2. People were going to look at my butt, more specifically my Dexcom sensor that refused to hide. It actually looked a bit like a Lego…

For Easter, I did an arm pod so I stuck a peel on it and let people at church think I was wearing an Easter egg.

04/22/14; 1:54 pm
  5. Carrie #

This post explains one of the reasons I had to change the way I used the pump. It is ugly and uncomfortable. Even clipped on my belt, it would pull my pants down and hit into everything I walked past. There is no room under my clothes for it, ever. I did not want to use MDI, because I would be taking over ten injections a day.

Now, I take Lantus at night and keep the pump in my purse. When I eat, I just hook up the pump for a bolus, then disconnect after it. I can still avoid injections and micro-bolus without the problems of wearing a pump under clothes. Problem solved.

04/23/14; 11:29 am
  6. My friend wears a Dexcom and I have to share this with her. I think you have a great sense of humor about being a Lego Easter robot. What is most important is your blood sugar remained stabilized. Way to go!

04/24/14; 9:19 pm