This is how we do it.

Wednesday morning, leaving Logan Airport in Boston, en route to Montreal:

TSA agent:  “Excuse me.  What is that?”

Me:  “An insulin pump.”

Their mouth:  “Okay.”

Wipe it down, test my hands, pass the screening, no issues, carry on with my carry-on.

My mouth:  “Thanks!”

Their mouth:  “Safe travels!”

Thursday morning, leaving Montreal and headed back to Boston:

Security agent:  “Bonjour.  What is that?”

Me:  “An insulin pump.”

Their mouth:  “Okay.”

My mouth:  “Thank you!”

Their mouth:  “Bon voyage!”

Flying with diabetes: This is how we do it.

1. This is the exact same thing I experience every time I fly. Body scanner, most of the time picks it up, swab hands, negative for explosives and carry on. Like clockwork. I’ve never had an issue traveling.

02/27/14; 12:51 pm
  2. Is it terrible that I STILL avoid plane travel because I was so burned in the past that I just don’t want to deal with it? Gosh, it’s probably been over 4 years since I’ve flown anywhere – we’ve done all our recent vacations within an 8-12 hour driving distance. If you keep having good experiences like this, I MIGHT just be persuaded to fly again. MIGHT.

02/27/14; 12:55 pm
  3. For what it’s worth, I’m smiling very big right now. And hoping for the same when I travel in a few weeks.

02/27/14; 1:23 pm
  4. Jason #

I fly 2-3 times a year and this is how my exchange with TSA typically is.

Sometimes if I see a glance between the operator of the scanner and the agent with gloves I will point to my device(s) and mention they are medical devices. They have asked to see my pod, I lift up my sleeve and they say ok.

I haven’t had a problem in the three years I have been wearing my Omnipod & Dexcom.

02/27/14; 2:06 pm
  5. Christine #

A most interesting thing happened to me on this last month’s trip to Hawaii. I always have to do the pat down due to my opt out with the scanner. On the way to Hawaii I had to do the pat down but… on the way back home I sailed through without even having to remove my shoes. Talk about carrying on.
    The difference was the fact that I had frequent flyer status with Alaska airlines. Pre-screened. Magic!!!!. Love it.
    Aloha.

02/27/14; 4:48 pm
  6. Ali #

I’m on MDI so don’t usually have any issues with flight security (security at concerts is a whole other matter tho…). The only blip I’ve ever had was flying into Toronto when they thought I had dozens of razor blades in my carry-on. Turns out their machine was so sensitive it was picking up on all the tiny metal filaments in my blood test strips!! They were so lovely about it though and were just as amazed as I was :)

02/27/14; 11:36 pm
  7. Beautiful! That’s how it should be done!

But what about the body scanner…the pat-down…the nonremovable CGM sensor and transmitter? Didn’t they put a kink in the routine? Surely it can’t be THAT easy…

Or can it?

02/28/14; 9:22 am
  8. Barb #

My understanding is that the normal metal detector is fine, but we should check with the manufacturer of your pump before going through the body scanner. Not all of the pumps can go through the body scanner. Below are sources for Animas and Medtronic saying that they can’t go through the body scanners.

From the Animas website:
    “While going through airport security, please keep these important things in mind. Your pump should not go through the X-ray screening that is used for carry-on or checked luggage. The new airport screening, Whole Body Imaging Technology, is also a form of X-ray. If you are chosen to go through this form of screening, you will need to disconnect from the pump at your skin site prior to the scan and request alternate methods of screening the pump other than using X-ray. Your infusion set may remain in place.”

From the Medtronic website:
    “Medtronic has conducted official testing on the effects of the full body scanners at airports with Medtronic medical devices. Some of the new scanners may include x-ray. To avoid removing your devices, you may request an alternative screening process. If you choose to go through a full body scanner, you must remove your insulin pump and CGM (sensor and transmitter). Do not send your devices through the x-ray machine as an alternative.”

02/28/14; 10:48 am