Hashtag Motherhood with Diabetes.

“What is that?” my daughter’s friend asked me from over her plate of scrambled eggs as I was watching the two kids for the morning.

Before I could answer, my kid piped up, “That’s her insulin pump.  It has insulin in it.”

“Oh,” the other three year old answered, mouth full of eggs.  “What’s it for?”

“It has my medicine in it, for diabetes.  Remember?” I said, reminding my daughter’s friend of conversations we had at the beach over the summer, when she had previously asked me about my insulin pump.

“Yeah.  Hey, what’s that tunnel?”

Birdy interrupted again:  “That’s the tubing and it goes into her body and the insulin goes in the tube – insulin comes from a small bottle you cannot touch – and the tube is really squishy and Loopy likes to chase it,” and right on cue, the cat came leaping out of nowhere and batted at the pump tubing dangling between my hands as I primed my pump.

Both girls laughed.  “LOOPY!!!”

Loopy twirled, burped, and scampered back into living room in a flurry of gray fur.  The girls resumed breakfast, and I resumed prepping my new infusion set.

“Sometimes my mom has whoa blood sugars but most of the time we just eat the glucose tabs from the Glucose Tab Man and then it’s all better and we go back to playing with the dollhouse,” Birdy offered.

“What’s a glucose tab?” her friend asked.

“Oh, those are these!!”  Birdy leapt down from her chair and ran off to grab one of the blue jars.  “Sometimes mom lets me have a very, very, very small bite.  Do you want a very, very, very small bite?”

“YES!”

Which is how my daughter and her friend ended up chasing their scrambled eggs with very, very, very small bites of wildberry glucose tabs.

1. Nice one! Loopy is so smart – completely understands subtle stage direction!

02/12/14; 10:53 am
  2. I dig the Wildberry…

02/12/14; 11:26 am
  3. Beth #

the glucose tab man, is that like the muffin man or the milk man?

02/12/14; 11:40 am
    • Birdy met Chris Angell at the Friends for Life conference and he made quite an impression on her. Since, he’s been “The Glucose Tab Man” in our house. Similar to the Muffin Man, only people actually know him. ;)

02/12/14; 11:44 am
  4. Lindsay #

Kerri, I’ve wanted to ask you if you ever brought up your diabetes and explained it to your daughter or if she just started asking questions one day. I have a nearly 3 year old and he has never asked about it, I don’t hide it but I don’t explain what i’m doing either. He just watches and never asks about it. (which seems strange since he asks about everything else! :) ) Just wondering your thoughts on explaining (with fear of completely scaring him) or just letting him ask and then answering.

02/12/14; 11:44 am
  5. Christine #

That is so sweet. That should be on kids say the darnest things. Sounds to me like your daughter gets it. My daughter used to love my BD glucose tabs too. She is still a big supporter of my diabetes. Isn’t it wonderful.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Christine

02/12/14; 12:03 pm
  6. I loved reading every word of this.

02/12/14; 12:10 pm
  7. “Whoa” blood sugar is my new favorite phrase.

02/12/14; 1:25 pm
  8. No more glupose tabs?

02/12/14; 4:49 pm
    • or faffles? I thought faffles were the breakfast of choice in your house.

02/12/14; 8:18 pm
      • Oh man, I miss faffles. But she’s not into those anymore. Kid loves eggs! And glucose tabs.

02/12/14; 10:57 pm
    • Sadly, no. But thankfully, I have that gem on video. :)

02/12/14; 10:58 pm
  9. June S. #

Birdy rocks! What a cute, smart kid you’ve got! Just wanted to let you know that in schools (unless the rules have changed, of late) a diabetic child must never give another child a glucose tablet. It seems to be a controlled substance!

02/13/14; 12:55 pm
    • Is that true? What if the kids treats a low BG with Smarties? Essentially the same thing as a glucose tab but packaged slightly different. I can understand them getting in trouble for sharing candy in class but not for a controlled substance!

02/15/14; 10:06 pm