Endless Lows.

I do not know what makes them stick like this, the lows that creep in and stay creepy for hours at a time.

“Is this thing serious?” I asked.  Then I’d prick my finger to confirm that, indeed the Dexcom was serious, and I was in fact still low.

There are times when high blood sugars are stubborn and refuse to come down, even when I rage bolus and exercise.  But I can tolerate a sticky high because, even though it’s not comfortable, I can still function properly-ish.

The endless lows, though, work me over in a way that’s entirely different.  Last night, I came home from the gym with a downward drop in my Dexcom, and it lasted for two and a half hours.  Which meant that, for two and a half hours, I had a combination of numb lips/tongue, shaky hands, mental fogginess, and that urge to cry without reason.  I had to constantly tell my daughter, “I just need a few more minutes, because my blood sugar is low.”  I was thankful that Chris was home to help me negotiate parenting stuff/reminding me to eat something else.

What makes this happen?  How can I chomp down ten glucose tabs and a banana and some applesauce over the course of three hours and barely see a blood sugar budge?  It took over a 150 carbs to make a dent (And that dent peaked up to 200 and then promptly fell again.  What the eff?).

“What are you now?” Chris asked before bed.

“202.  And I’m fine with that,” I replied with finally-not-numb-lips-and-a-shirt-collar-dusted-with-glucose-tabs.

1. Kim #

Ugh, I hate that you had to feel like that for so long. I get so irrationally tempermental when I’m relentlessly low like that. Patience vacates the premises right along with blood glucose.

02/10/14; 11:12 am
  2. Katie S. #

OMG my ENTIRE WEEKEND looked like that. On Saturday I removed my pump for FOUR HOURS (!!!) in frustration. After 2 hours I peaked at 143 before heading to the gym and returned home an hour later at 82. Later in the evening I did hit 200 but promptly fell again after conservatively correcting for it. The only time I could seem to get a spike in my BG was when I purposely ate and skipped my bolus, and even then I couldn’t believe how tame the spike was.

This may be a little TMI, but I tend to notice this same trend for a few days after my monthly visitor shows up. I’m always running high for a few days before, then once it shows up I spend a few days in the trenches (yay for a good average between the two??) I just hate how I have to keep treating to no effect and my CGM keeps beeping because I’m constantly on the verge of lows.

02/10/14; 11:22 am
  3. Those days stink. I’m glad to learn I’m not the only one that has lows that refuse to go up no matter how much is consumed.

02/10/14; 11:25 am
  4. Lindsay #

I feel ya! I am just almost 6 weeks pregnant with my second little one and apprently I was a little too eager in the beginning to adjust my basal rates up because now I am slowly bringing them down because I constantly low like all freaking night! I can’t stand it and I can’t sleep! It sucks!!!

02/10/14; 11:26 am
  5. The worst part is, I get particularly snarky if I have to resort to glucose tabs. Then, I’m all like, “diabetes, you suck, making me eat these things I hate!” And diabetes is all like, “I don’t care, man, you need to wipe that dust off your face and turn off your pancreas for a bit. Oh wait, yours is broken. Ha ha!!!!”

02/10/14; 11:27 am
  6. Paul A. #

I hate days like that they don’t happen very often but when they do i feel like i go through a whole bottle of glucose tablets and my blood sugar barely moves.

02/10/14; 11:55 am
  7. V #

Those days leave me exhausted and I end up nauseous by all those jelly beans I need to consume to keep me up. I also have a lots of lows as soon as I stopped the pill at the end of the month. Also, now I know when I’ll have a cold as the day before, I’ll be struggling with lows the whole day.

02/10/14; 12:24 pm
  8. Beth #

I have been battling lows a lot lately, to the point there 50 doesn’t even faze me and I’ve been ignoring my Dexcom alarms. It’s super scary, and a few times I have yelled at my husband to leave me alone when he’s just trying to make sure I drink juice. Thankfully he loves me through the highs and lows! But I am so sick of juice! (never thought I would say that.)

02/10/14; 2:21 pm
  9. Barb #

I finally learned that I use 10% less insulin in the first two weeks of my menstrual cycle than I do in the second two weeks. Now I have two different basal rate patterns that I switch every two weeks. It has made a big difference for whether or not I am low or high all the time.

And every couple of months I have a day where I don’t take any insulin with food and I am below 130 all day. Those are the days that I wonder if it’s possible that I’ve just been dreaming about being diabetic for the last six years…

02/10/14; 3:08 pm
  10. Joe White #

Going to the Gym: My son was told to do a 10% basal reduction two hours before going to thew gym and for 2 hours after, in order to reduce the BG rise after exercise

02/10/14; 3:59 pm
  11. I’m a CGM newbie, been using a Dexcom for two months now and getting accustom to it has been kinda hard. I’ve been seeing the lows like that at bed time and had one the other night where I couldn’t get above 50 for about 2 1/2 hours. Finally I guess the package of fruit snacks, 8 starbursts, and a Kind bar kicked in because I went up but topped out at 300 and stayed there for 6 hours. That was a fun night to say the least. Thanks for posting about this.

02/10/14; 5:30 pm
  12. Yes, I sometimes have had multiple days in a week when I’m barely above 80 for most of the day. Since I don’t have a CGM and am no longer aware of highs or lows, it means constant glucose testing before any kind of activity. It’s not fun and it’s also very difficult to explain to clients who don’t understand what’s happening if my answers don’t make sense during a conference call. Thanks Kerri for writing about this.

02/10/14; 6:47 pm
  13. I can feel the low coming on, but then it’s too late, and I’m crying or acting drunk in front of the kids. Luckily, my 9-year-old recognizes this stage too, and is quick with my monitor and a candy-bar chaser.

02/11/14; 3:24 pm
  14. Stubborn lows are brutal. Although stubborn highs take their toll on you, they’re nothing in comparison with stubborn lows.

I’m going to have to bookmark this post, and (attempt) to re-read it next time I deal with a stubborn low so that I don’t feel alone.

02/11/14; 4:29 pm