Projecting Positivity.

Did you see the “What If All the Guns in Movies Were Replaced with Thumbs Up?” article?  If not, you should check it out, because it encapsulates the motivation I feel about what can be accomplished in 2014.  (That, and the Batman graphic is excellent.)  There’s a lot that needs to be changed and moved forward and embraced, and as a community, we are up to the task.

So much miserable stuff lives on the Internet – a truly high level of grumples – and I want to make a real effort this year to not be a major contributor to the mud.  No Pollyanna’ing, but I’d rather point my efforts towards making a difference and improving things, rather than bitching.  We’ve talked a lot of talk about patient empowerment and so much has been done that’s changing the landscape of life with a chronic illness, but now it’s time to move from walking the walk to full-out running, armed with positivity and determination.

Oh, and each other.

Because every time someone asks me about the diabetes online community, their query is usually tempered with a look of disbelief, like they can’t believe there’s anything positive to be found on the web.  My answer is always the same:

“Yeah, but it’s one of those good places on the Internet, where people actually are kind and try to help one another.  There are hiccups in that plan, but it’s a community so worth being part of, and feeling proud of.”

Hell yes.  Happy New Year, and here’s to 2014 being a huge one for the diabetes community as a whole.

1. Amen, Kerri!

I am totally down with pointing a big “thumbs up” at anyone and everyone that I can. :-)

01/1/14; 11:14 am
  2. Agreed, Kerri… for the MOST part. I hope that in being positive and promoting that positivity, we (as a community and individually) don’t fall into the trap of artificially promoting things and not calling them out or being critical when that’s necessary. Important, balance is (as Yoda would say). Here’s to a productive, helpful and inspiring 2014 where we are working toward making a difference.

01/1/14; 11:27 am
    • Mike, you’re killing my buzz. ;)

01/1/14; 8:13 pm
      • Sorry bout that. BTW, you’re one of the most positive and uplifting people I know. And when coffee doesn’t bring calmness and mind-balance, your blog usually does the job. So, yay positivity.. :)

01/3/14; 7:14 am
  3. I’m with Scott in the “Amen, Kerri!” category!

01/1/14; 12:10 pm
  4. Andrew Dyke #

Thanks for being one of the ‘good’ providers of internet content!

01/1/14; 5:21 pm
  5. Thanks Kerri, I agree. Sending best wishes to you and your family for a healthy, happy and productive new year. Hugs.

01/1/14; 5:29 pm
  6. Positivity is WONDERFUL – or so I’ve read.

01/2/14; 1:59 am
  7. Well said!! I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how I’ve been letting myself get sucked into so much negativity. So I’m up for a fresh start and learning to let that icky stuff roll off me, or avoid sites that fill me with it. Time to focus on all the good stuff out there and let the motivation for positive change shine!!

01/2/14; 9:27 am
  8. My philosophy: If it’s positive, tell everyone about it. If it’s criticism, go to the source and let them know, one-on-one. Hope your New Year was excellent, and I’ll try to follow your example here all through 2014.

01/2/14; 10:57 am