World Diabetes Day 2013.

“You have diabetes  You seem fine.” “I am fine.”
Diabetes makes me walk the precarious fine line
Between “I’m sick” and “I’m not” and the whole in-between
That makes diabetes invisible, and yet so seen.

“Needles?  Every day?  I could never,”
You could.  And you would, and you’d do it forever
If that’s what kept you from good life or harm,
You’d never think twice of needles in your arm.

“You seem fine.”  “I am fine, at least I think?”
I try not to let it push me to the brink
But even my best days are still diabetic
And on some days I feel frustrated, mad, or pathetic.

I can follow the rules and try to appease
The needs and requirements of relentless disease,
But even my best days are burnt at the edge
By the efforts that work their way in like a wedge.

“You seem fine.”  I am fine, except days when I’m not.
But I do what I’m told, and I learn what I’m taught.
And I’ll keep working harder to keep from the claws
Of an illness that doesn’t do “rewind” or “pause.”

Will it stop me?  It might, I can’t lie – and that’s scary
But between now and then, I throw all these hail marys.
It’s life, and it’s mine, and I won’t let it bear
The weight of a heart and mind wraught with fear.

There are miles to run, and children to hold.
There are travels to have, and stories to be told.
Diabetes?  Intense, and it looms, and it’s giant
But I’m more than my pancreas.  I’ve become self-reliant.

I may host beta cells that checked out long ago
But I refuse to accept the assumed status quo.
I’ll work harder, think smarter.  I’m not resigned
To accept limitation.  I live life undefined.

1. Me thinks you’re channelling Dr. Seuss a little. Happy WDD Kerri.

11/14/13; 10:11 am
  2. Jennifer #

Wonderful poem, Kerri!!! Thanks for all the diabetes inspiration, today and every day!!

11/14/13; 10:50 am
  3. Rachel #

Word.

Amazing, Kerri. Love it.

And Bernard, I agree – I picked up on Dr. Seuss as well 🙂

11/14/13; 12:05 pm
  4. I have a couple of friends who have diabetes and I understand that fine line you speak of, Kerri. It’s so important to keep monitoring–even though some days you feel like you wish you could just stop cold turkey and see what life is like without it. Like you said though, keep on keeping on! Keep raising awareness of everyone on WDD!

11/14/13; 12:19 pm
  5. Anna #

Dear Kerri,

Thank you, thank you for yet another great and wonderful blog post.

I always thought I would be able to say something witty or clever or even insightful when I would post my first comment on here.
    But, alas, I am at loss for words.

If it wasn’t for this blog I wouldn’t have considered going on the pump for ages.
    I was always so scared of being dependent on yet another device besides pens and my meter.
    Well, I’ve been on the pump for 2 months and 2 days now (after 9.5 years of using pens) and it’s going great so far.

So I’ll say it again: Thank you, thank you for your blog and for being an advocate for people with diabetes from all over the world!

A happy WDD to you! (from a rambling me who claimed she was at loss of words).

11/14/13; 12:31 pm
  6. That’s a badass poem. Happy WDD, Kerri 🙂

11/14/13; 1:00 pm
  7. A great poet 🙂

11/14/13; 1:56 pm
  8. Katie #

I just want to say you are AWESOME!!! That was a fabulous post and I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you do for the DOC!!! Your posts have so helped me as a momma to a sweet 5 year old T1!

11/14/13; 2:00 pm
  9. This poetry slammer gives you a 10! (But not an A1C of 10, obviously.)

11/14/13; 2:18 pm
  10. Julie Rogers #

This made my hearth skip a beat, you are such an inspiration. Thank you for this!

11/14/13; 2:29 pm
  11. WDD! My support is out there for everyone that I know with diabetes! I hope that we can learn to accommodate everyone with food-related diseases/disorders–sometimes it just takes a bit of extra effort to know how to do so!

11/14/13; 2:44 pm
  12. I love this, very encouraging. Thank you.

11/14/13; 4:21 pm
  13. Kristine #

Thank you for all of your posts, Kerri! You have really been an encouragement to me with my diabetes. Your blog has especially been an encouragement over the past 6 weeks (Since finding out I was pregnant! We weren’t even trying…SURPRISE!). I am 10 weeks pregnant today, and I have stalked your blog about diabetes and pregnancy like none other! It’s been so nice to have someone else to reference, to know that there is someone else out there that has been through it, and that I am not crazy for the emotional rollar coaster I’ve been on while managing diabetes AND growing a human being inside of me! So thank you so much for everything!

11/14/13; 4:32 pm
  14. Ana from Argentina #

Great poem! 7 years and counting. I’m doing my best but you all know that some days it just doesn’t show! Maybe it’s not diabetes but just the onset of old age? Who knows! We just have to hang on and keep on trying and trying again…
    Happy WDD and thanks for being there!

11/14/13; 5:17 pm
  15. Eve Johnson #

Thank you – Our grand-daughter was diagnosed with Type1 age 4. She’s now almost 12 It’s so easy to read or even critique, but to live it ~ can be a challenge. I salute you and your contribution/blog & encouragement. beautifully done!

11/14/13; 5:50 pm
  16. Love the poem!! It’s such a hard journey but we are not alone!

11/14/13; 6:00 pm
  17. Thanks again Kerri. Dr. Seuss would be very pleased. Happy WDD!

11/14/13; 6:55 pm
  18. pam hanson #

way to go, kerri!!!! you are such an encouragement to everyone <3

11/14/13; 8:24 pm
  19. Loretta #

Happy World Diabetes Day Kerri. Thank you for all that you do for us all with diabetes. I like the poem.

11/14/13; 10:49 pm
  20. I love this! I always enjoy your posts, and look forward to them! After 37 years with type 1, it’s refreshing to know I’m not alone in trying hard and doing my best, and still having plenty of ups and downs…good to be in good company. Thank you!

11/15/13; 2:08 am
  21. ria #

a combo of Dylan and Seuss ?
    better choice than Mother Goose (nothing personal, Mother Goose)
    very cool =)