Pell Bridge Run.

When my friend Liz asked me to do a race with her in November, I was more concerned about whether or not I was home to participate instead of concerning myself with the specifics of the race itself.

“November 10th?  Sure, I’m home that weekend.”

And then I looked at the details:  it was a a 4.2 mile race over the Pell Bridge in Newport, RI.  At 6.30 in the morning.  On a Sunday.

A Facebook message to my friend:  “Liz, I finally followed directions and signed up. But this shit starts at 6.30 in the morning? Blargh.”

But what sounded like the absolute suck was a really amazing experience, watching the sun rise as several thousand runners crested over the bridge, moving towards a common goal.

Performance-wise, I struggled, but that’s okay.   Lots of rookie mistakes in play:  a terrible night’s sleep (< 4 hours), a new infusion set put in morning of, a fasting blood sugar of 298 mg/dL that required an aggressive correction bolus (so that I would come down in time to not have the desire to pee on the peak of the bridge), and too much insulin on board (IOB) when I met the rest of the racers at the starting line.  Thankfully, I reduced my basal rate at 4 am when I woke up, so I didn’t have my normal dawn phenomenon rate in play.

CGM check 20 minutes before the race:  158 mg/dL with an arrow pointing straight down
Meter check for confirmation:  139 mg/dL.
Bananarama:  Ate a banana without bolusing for it, and chewed a Shot Blok to get some carbs coursing through my system before setting off.
Packing heat:  And I had my Spibelt with two sleeves of Shot Bloks, my Dexcom receiver, and my meter.  I was ready for anything.

At 6.25 am, five minutes before the starting gun, I was 108 mg/dL on the Dexcom with an arrow pointing due east, so I hoped the banana/Shot Blok combo was enough to see me through.  But as the gun fired and runners started up the bridge, I felt that telltale heat washing over my body in waves of oncoming hypoglycemia.  I popped another shot blok, but shaky hands told me I needed to consult my CGM, so 3/4 of a mile into the race, I acknowledged the 50 mg/dL  and the down arrow winking back at me.

“You can go screw,” I thought.

I had to slow my pace down to fuss through the low, but after a few minutes (and thanks, in part, to the adrenaline that surely helped spike me closer to range), the down arrow disappeared and was soon replaced by a gently sloping northeast arrow on my Dexcom graph.  I continued down the bridge, and then through downtown Newport, towards the finish line.

It was early, it hurt, I was a little sluggish post-low, but my legs responded to my requests, and I kept going.

Thoughts of “I can’t do this,” were replaced by, “Oh hell yes I can.”

I’m not a fast runner.   Not a graceful one, either (more of a plodder).  But I get there.  And even though diabetes was a bit to blame for delaying my sprint across the finish line, it is fully to blame for bringing me to the starting line.

(And this run gave me a great Big Blue Test to log – 139 mg/dL at the outset, 158 mg/dL at the close, after 4.2 miles, 44 minutes, and about 40 grams of carbs.  Exercise for the freaking WIN!)

1. I’m sorry your diabetes didn’t cooperate, but Kerri, I’m super proud of you for kicking ass on this! Way to go, sister!

11/12/13; 11:53 am
  2. Lisa #

Go girl! I used to “run” a lot. I would tell people, that I don’t run, I “trot”. :-)

11/12/13; 11:59 am
  3. I can so vividly remember, not all that long ago, a conversation we had about how running just wasn’t your thing. And now, not only have you done 5Ks, but you’ve done this more than 4 mile race too. On a day when diabetes was being a . . . . . censored content . . . . . You rock!

11/12/13; 12:04 pm
  4. Yay you! And even with your plodding that’s a better pace than mine!

11/12/13; 12:58 pm
  5. laura #

nice job, kerri!!! way to conquer 4.2… and overcome a low! with no rebound high, to boot! awesome.

11/12/13; 1:33 pm
  6. Awesome. The bravery and resilience it took to finish is really what makes you a champion in this race. Well done… congratulations!

11/12/13; 4:34 pm
  7. k2 #

YOU. ROCK.

11/12/13; 7:30 pm
  8. I did this beautiful run a few years ago.

Your Shot Bloks made me remember laughing with a friend at a lady who had on one of those fanny packs with two full-size water bottle holsters. She had not only the two water bottles but also a banana hanging out of the back of the thing. We were all, “I’m running four miles I’D BETTER BRING A SNACK” as if that were the equivalent of wearing a football helmet and gas mask to walk down the street. Ha ha ha haha.

No idea.

50 mg/dL & keeps on running. I admire you!

11/12/13; 10:17 pm
  9. I did a 10K in September that had me at 302 mg/dl at fasting… I also corrected, a little too aggressively and ended up crashing in the middle. Two Gu gels later and I was OK but not happy it slowed me down. I should have bolused less because my sensitivity skyrockets when I exercise. In fact, I try to avoid running with any IOB… I seem to crash no matter how good I think I am at reducing the dose.

11/12/13; 10:39 pm
  10. Lindsay #

I was running my first half marathon on Sunday! I, too had my own low moments and had to down two whole packages of shot bloks over the course of 5 miles. Then once my blood sugar had stablized my pod (omnipod) let out the death shriek. Yeah, it died at about mile 7. But I had my CGM in my hand the entire race and finished in the 160s, so I’ll take it. Nothing like running to give you that awesome feeling of “Hell yeah, I can do this!” Screw you Diabetes!

11/13/13; 4:33 pm
  11. Harvina #

Nice helicopter shot. I run half marathon 2 years back. It tired experience because I was never run for too long. It was good experience.

11/14/13; 6:31 am