So Fresh and So Clean. (Clean.)

I rarely clean my pump.  I hope that doesn’t make me a complete dirtbag (though the more I think about it, the more I should regularly clean this device that is with me 24 hours a day, every single day, and is brought everywhere but in the shower, so it’s likely to be the most filthy thing I own).

How often do you clean your insulin pump?

But honestly, I don’t make a habit of dragging it through the mud or dropping it into a plate of spaghetti, so normally I clean it when it gets grubby from exercise, the beach, etc. or when I take off the battery cap and notice that the edge of the cap looks gross.  (You know, when the cap is threaded with what looks like belly button lint.)

An email exchange with an engineer from Animas got me to thinking about this “how often do you clean your pump” issue, and I wondered if I was the only insulin pumper who didn’t have a cleaning ritual for my pump.  I try to keep the screen clean, and there are a few times I’ve wipe it down with a baby wipe (they’re useful for grubby hands and grubby pumps alike), but I don’t set aside special times to do a once-over on my medical devices.

How often do you clean your pump?

(link to the video clip for the song you surely have stuck in your head now)

1. k2 #

Well, when there’s a smear of blood on my pump screen I wipe it with an alcohol pad & every once and a while I do the same with my pump clip when looks gnarly.
    Yeah… detailing my pump is something I should probably work on.

10/25/13; 11:21 am
  2. Nicole #

I’m like you Keri, hardly ever! I wipe the screen with baby wipes or my shirt if it looks grubby. I try remeber to give it a wipe before before endo appointments too. I clean my phone all the time, yet my pump is so much more important to me!

10/25/13; 11:49 am
  3. I clean it when 1. I remember. 2. The supplies are handy. 3. When I have time and 4. When the battery cap or resevoir cap gets crusty. All those stars must align, first!

I think we could make a killing if we sold a pump detailing kit!

10/25/13; 11:50 am
  4. Eeeeewwww. now I’m realizing that I hardly ever clean my pump. And that is really really gross. From now on, every time I clean my soap dish I’m going to clean my pump too. ;)

10/25/13; 11:55 am
    • HA!! Best answer ever!

10/25/13; 11:59 am
      • Bruce #

I do clean my pump as often as my soapdish, wait, I don’t own a soapdish. I did once wipe crawlspace dirt off of it, though.

10/25/13; 6:50 pm
  5. I don’t recall ever cleaning any of my pumps, in 18 years of pumping.I don’t recall ever cleaning my pumps. Being male, I wear my pump clipped to my belt, unlike where most of you women wear yours.

10/25/13; 11:56 am
  6. I can’t think of a time that I actually sat down with the purpose of cleaning my pump. I’ll wipe the screen if it’s smudgy. I’ll clean the clip if I take it off to wear my pump in the leather case, but otherwise, I’m a dirty pumper.

I think it helps that I usually wear it inside my pocket or on my waistband underneath a shirt, but now I’m wondering if I really should schedule some cleaning times…nah, I think I’ll just keep it dirty.

10/25/13; 12:11 pm
  7. Hmmm… yeah, I don’t clean mine either. I think closest to a wipe down “clean” my pumps have had involve getting swabbed by the TSA. And that’s scary in itself.

10/25/13; 12:20 pm
  8. Jamie #

I wish I could just put it in the dishwasher from time to time, while on the shower. That would sanitize it nicely, don’t you think?

10/25/13; 12:23 pm
  9. For the most part, never. My older Medtronic had those white buttons that got really nasty-looking over time. But the new Revel’s buttons are all black and they don’t show anything. (On second thought, I might’ve cleaned it once, I’m not sure).

10/25/13; 12:55 pm
  10. I clip my pump on the middle of the waistband of my PJs when I sleep, so that crusty stuff around the battery cap may actually be belly button lint. I usually clean my pump after I take a photo for my blog and realize how awful it looks. With that as a reminder, I should probably take more photos of my pump.

10/25/13; 1:05 pm
  11. I don’t clean my pump very often, but since I use the OmniPod, my pods shower with me and my PDM lives in my purse… so it’s about as clean or dirty as my phone and Dexcom are. I usually wipe off the screens of all three at one time and I’ll give it a mini scrub with an alcohol wipe when it gets blood on it (which I also have to do with other devices, since I’m not very good at remembering how long my fingers bleed after checking).

10/25/13; 4:35 pm
  12. Sandy #

I’m guessing that I don’t clean it often enough. I occasionally (read rarely) wipe it down with baby wipes. I do clean the holder more often since it’s normally up against me. I’m thinking I should go clean it now.

10/25/13; 5:09 pm
  13. I think the only part I’ve cleaned is the battery cap (Animas) because that’s the only place I can actually see the grime. Can we just pretend the rest of it doesn’t exist?

Oh wait, I’ve replaced the screen protector once because I walked into so many walls that I couldn’t see the numbers anymore.

10/26/13; 2:39 am
  14. Melissa E #

I have only cleaned mine once…but now I am thinking I should definitely add that too my regimen. I am always careful to wash my hands before I eat, but then I touch my pump, which may or may not have been in various environments (chicken house, garden, beach..etc). Ugh..thanks for the reminder! Oh, and Sara, I have an Animas too and constantly walk in to walls. I find that a swipe with nail polish remover over the screen cover gets rid of the white marks from the wall paint it picks up!

10/26/13; 12:38 pm
  15. I don’t clean mine since I swim with it on 4-5 times a week. I figure the chlorine does a pretty good job of disinfecting it for me. Kinda like a car-wash for my pump.

10/27/13; 7:02 pm
  16. Lee #

Not hardly, but I know a good cleaning device. Use one of those cloths that is used to wipe eye glasses, it will do the trick!

10/30/13; 2:05 pm
  17. Yeah, I’m with the majority-hardly ever! It’s like my phone-I don’t think the clean that either but it’s disgusting. My hubby usually takes my phone and cleans it regularly but he never thinks to clean my pump :-P

10/30/13; 5:59 pm