Be An Athlete: Redux.

Do what you can to be an athlete, even if it’s a word you want to whisper to yourself before you go to bed.

“Athlete.”

1. Dan #

Hi Kerri,
    It all starts with the first step. A great encouragement for all of us. And, you may be surprised with the other individuals which we can have the ability to meet during our “exercise” periods. As always have a great day.
    Dam

10/9/13; 9:07 am
  2. I’m starting a bit more conservatively….I walked *three* 5k’s in September, and my feet didn’t fall off. Yay! Goal for next year = wog (walk/jog) a 5k! We’ll see :)

10/9/13; 10:50 am
  3. Amy #

As a personal trainer, I don’t think anyone should force themselves to do something for exercise that they hate! I also think there is some exercise each person can find that they love.
    I feel I should also chime in re: distance running…tripping over our own feet and laughing ourselves silly and making stupid choices and weathering all sorts of figurative and literal storms and looking like complete idiots is part of what makes it fun. ;)
    (please note we are likely too dang tired from our own runs to notice or laugh at anyone else!)
    ;) rock on!

10/9/13; 10:54 am
  4. Neil Blackwood #

On the subject of exercise, here is a type 1 diabetic who runs triathlons, here’s some inspiration:

10/9/13; 4:04 pm
  5. laura #

I just started running as well! At first I was so scared and I felt awkward as you say (I was running with a backpack and all my “devices” inside). But after a couple of weeks running, everything fell into place. I love it, I feel good and most importantly, Im not scared anymore!
    Love your blog :) It has really inspired me
    Laura

10/9/13; 4:53 pm
  6. Harry #

If I loved this video any more it would take out a restraining order against me. Well said, my friend. :)

10/9/13; 6:38 pm
  7. Christine Curry #

Hi kerri,
    My biggest challenge with exercise has been BG levels. And it doesn’t matter which venue of exercise I choose. I still have to work hard at having good numbers before, during and after the routine. Just when I think I have things figured out, I don’t. I consider myself a mature diabetic athletic that just doesn’t want to quit. Keep up the good work.
    Christine

10/9/13; 6:56 pm
  8. If I could shout it from a rooftop, I would! I believe exercise should be a big part of every Type 1′s life. No, it is not easy. In fact, my hour run today at the gym included a blood sugar of 41, a gel packet to get it back up and 10 minutes of walking to feel “normal” again. But you know what, even though there are some days it frustrates me beyond belief, I keep doing it and I have done it since I was 14.

And I use to feel self-conscience about getting off the treadmill to test and most of the time, eat something. But really, no one even cares or looks my direction.

Thanks for your video blog post! And kudos for keeping up the running!

10/9/13; 9:17 pm
  9. Kerri, this is effing inspirational. Better than anything I’ve ever written on the subject. Coming from an athlete who did a 5k and two 100k (or so) bike rides this year, I can confirm: everything you said is true. Also, I will add: Nobody notices how well or poorly you’re doing after the first five minutes. And if you’re doing something, no way are you doing poorly.

10/9/13; 10:18 pm
    • Thanks, Stephen, and I agree with the “if you’re doing something, no way are you doing poorly.” That’s an awesome way of looking at it.

10/10/13; 11:14 am

1. Meet our first three medal winners. | Diabetes Blog - Happy-Medium.net
  2. I'm a Diabetes Champ Athlete... and YOU Can Be, Too! : DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog