Gluten-Free Chicken Noodle Soup.

Here’s an attempt at gluten-free chicken noodle and vegetable soup.  It tasted quite nice, actually, and no one died as a result of eating it.  We’re marking that as a win.

Note to real cooks:  Don’t judge.  I use pre-made soup broth and frozen vegetables.  I’m so lazy I don’t even make my own insulin.  Sensing a theme?

Note re: gluten-free:  Make sure you read all the packages, etc. for the ingredients you chose, to make sure the soup you’re making is actually gluten-free.

Gluten-Free Chicken Noodle (and Vegetable) Soup

Ingredient List:

• 3 chicken breasts (or 4, if you’re feeling symmetrical)
  • Schar’s Annellini pasta (so cute)
  • 3 containers of chicken broth (I used this Pacific Foods one)
  • 3 stalks of celery
  • 1/2 white onion
  • 1 package of frozen mixed vegetables (we used these)
  • 1 cup chopped green beans
  • 1 can cannelini beans (sounds redundant – “canned cannelini.”  We used Goya.)
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • Bouillon, salt, and other seasonings you’re into

Cookery:

Find a medium-sized stock pot in your kitchen stash and get that thing on the burner.  Fire up the burner to medium heat, add the butter, and then add the hacked up celery bits and chopped onion.  Then add the chicken (cubed, I guess?  Or whatever the cooking term for “chopped into bite-sized bits” is.)  Let the chicken cook fully before adding anything else.

Once the chicken is cooked, pour in 1 1/2 containers of soup broth and crank up the burner to high.  Add the mixed vegetables, green beans, and the drained-and-rinsed cannelini beans.

Oh shit – you should have been cooking the little pasta noodles.  Do that.  The recommended cooking time is four minutes for the Schar noodles, but I cooked them for three minutes (because they end up added to the soup stock anyway, cooking more).  After rinsing them off, dump them into the stock pot with the rest of the soup.

Once you have all your ingredients in the stock pot, add the rest of the broth (and any bouillon, salt, etc. that you’d like, to taste) and let the soup come to a boil.

Eat with your face.  Unless you’re my daughter, in which case, add a few ice cubes to your bowl of soup and be careful when you take a bite, sweetie.

Gluten-free chicken and vegetable soup.  (Not the shortest soup name.)

1. Denise #

You probably mean 3 celery ribs, not 3 celery stalks. :) A celery stalk is the whole big bunch of celery, which is quite a lot for chicken soup.

10/7/13; 12:14 pm
    • LOL!! Welcome to my kitchen disaster. Thank you for clarifying!

10/7/13; 2:54 pm
  2. Tim Steinert #

I think I need clearer directions on HOW to eat soup. Eating with my face has led to a lot of soup on the table. MOUTH would be helpful.

10/7/13; 2:11 pm
  3. K. #

Gluten-free starchy things (breads, pasta, that type of thing) totally mess up my sugars. Am I the only one? It’s like they have a super high glycemic index. They make my sugar spike super high, super fast. Those speed-demons make Novo-Rapid seem like an old lady on crutches, trying to keep up, but failing miserably.

10/7/13; 10:40 pm
  4. Cynthia #

Kerri, this looks simply amazing. I have celiac, and chicken noodle soup is definitely a comfort food that I’ve missed Surprisingly, I haven’t seen the cute little noodles you’ve mentioned. I shall ask my health food store to start stocking this one, they carry all the other Schar noodles for me. What did Birdie think?

10/7/13; 10:50 pm
    • Birdy was a big fan, and we’ve eaten a ton of it. Are you able to order the noodles online, if your store won’t stock them?

10/8/13; 12:33 am
  5. Lilly #

I don’t know how it taste like but that picture looks awesome. Can i add some egg white to make it more tasty?

10/8/13; 10:47 am
  6. Sally #

I’m a celiac as well, and just made a version of this for my sick fiance, but I used the Whole Food rotisserie chicken because I was running late from work (you want lazy, I’ve GOT lazy!). I didn’t add beans and I used Tinkyada brown rice spaghetti. I also used Whole Food poultry seasoning in the broth (Pacific Foods brand). One thing I wanted to mention is the Goya is the one brand of beans that usually ISN’T gluten-free, so make sure the check the labels! Even their dried beans aren’t safe, which is really crazy.

As it starts getting chillier, I’ll be making your version!

10/8/13; 12:07 pm
    • Sally – thank you for the note re: Goya. Reducing our exposure to gluten is a choice in our household, not dictated by celiac, so we’re able to take more risks. THANK YOU for pointing out the potential for Goya to be gluten’ized!

10/8/13; 12:17 pm
  7. Looks simple and delicious. On my list for next week!
    Thanks for the recipe. :)

10/15/13; 6:43 pm
  8. Gluten Free Noodles #

Great post….Thanks for gluten free chicken soup.Its looking so amazing.Thanks for sharing this recipe….

11/7/14; 1:36 am

1. Pros and Cons of Going Gluten-Free. (and a lament about the smooshed banana) - Six Until Me - diabetes blog