Weird Together.

“I travel a bit and go to conferences and events where there are people who have diabetes, too.  It can be kind of isolating, diabetes, so knowing other people who have it makes it easier to manage on all levels.  Does that make sense?”

“Yeah.  It’s like, ‘Hey, we’re weird together.’  And when you’re weird together, you get closer.”

That Guy George From the Plane (TGGFtP) and I spent the flight from San Francisco to Chicago sitting next to one another, talking first about how hung over he was (he was in San Francisco for a bachelor party and had a collection of air sickness bags in his seat pocket, jokingly at the ready) and then touching into trickier topics, like religion, politics, healthcare, and other topics that Miss Manners suggests keeping to yourself.

But honestly, after all the time I’ve spent in planes this past week (BOS -> LHR -> BCN -> SFO -> MDW -> PVD = WTF), I was happy to talk to someone, instead of picking through emails.

I laughed, harder than I’d meant to.  “Yes, that’s it.  That’s it, exactly, and a very eloquent description, at that.”

It’s true, though.  Even though I don’t have friendly feelings towards every person with diabetes I’ve ever encountered due to personalities, preferences, and proximity, there still is a strange draw to them.  It’s intrinsic.  At the MedX conference this past weekend, I was in a conference room with three PWD I knew (Sara, Chris, and myself), but when I heard a Medtronic pump go off somewhere a few rows behind me, I was intrigued and started doing the math.

“Sara and I are on Animas, so we don’t make the boop beep boop sound, and Chris is on MDI, so that’s not him going off.  Who is it?”

The boop beep boop’er didn’t make their presence known, and I didn’t pry, but if that person came up to me and needed to bum a fresh lancet or a test strip or a fistful of glucose tabs, I would have emptied my pockets for them, no questions asked.  There’s a level of understanding in play that’s automatic, and feels downright autonomic.

George was right:  I like having people to be weird together with.  And I like the fact that being weird together makes us closer.

1. Dan #

Hi Kerri,
    Sometimes people are brought into our lives for us to share a moment and strengthen each other that we are not alone. No person is an island and time together can facilitate the ability to grow for both of us. As always have a great day and thanks for your views.
    Dan

09/30/13; 10:07 am
  2. Thanks for being one of the people I most enjoy being weird with. xo

09/30/13; 11:16 am
  3. Boop, beep, booper!!! lol Thats a way to put it!!!! Yes it is nice to relate to weird, funny people such as you!!!

09/30/13; 11:30 am
  4. tmana #

You’re first learning this now? Oh right — the DOC is a youngster compared to SFF fandom, and many of us don’t remember the days of the huge computer user groups, or the heyday of hobbyist computer shows. The “BOF” (Birds of a Feather) phenomenon has been around for decades, and it often takes another flock member to argue intelligently about why Kirk might be a better character than Spock, PCs might be better than Macs, or why the decorated undersleeves in Titians “Sacred and Profane Love” and Bassano’s “Road to Calvary” might not accurately reflect contemporary attire.

Though it’s arguably more personal when one argues for Minimed over Animas, Freestyle Lite over Bayer Contour USB, or low-carb over whole-food… and has spreadsheets of personal lab reports to back up one’s assertions.

09/30/13; 12:16 pm
  5. Weird-o!

Oh, wait.

09/30/13; 12:32 pm
  6. ria #

we type 1′s have a “weird” connection like no one else
    I quit trying to be “normal” decades ago

09/30/13; 12:44 pm
  7. Here’s to being weird! Great post, Kerri.

09/30/13; 10:53 pm
  8. Sarah #

Yeah, I struggle (and sometimes fail) to not hug any PWD that I meet now since our daughter was diagnosed 10 months ago. How’s that for weird? :)

10/1/13; 12:13 am
  9. Weird is a compliment – that’s how i see it.

Weird-o makes the world interesting.

10/1/13; 5:34 am
  10. It’s the people who claim to be “normal” that you have to watch out for.

* special note: have just become an Animas beep beep BEEPer this month! Squeee!!!! :D

10/3/13; 1:14 am
  11. weird by proxy… Mom and sister of T1s.

08/22/14; 1:25 pm