Anti-Rant.

Recently, I stumbled onto a site called Daily Prompt, and I have used it from time to time to jostle the thoughts in my head into a more respectable state.  This was a prompt from last week:  “The internet is full of rants. Help tip the balance: today, simply be thankful for something (or someone).”

I’m thankful for so many BIG things, like my family and my friends, but there are so many little things that deserve recognition.  Time for a bullet list o’ thankfulness, you say?  I couldn’t agree more.

• I’m thankful for the fact that hazelnut coffee was on sale at the market and now I’m up to my ears in it and joy.
  • I love when my daughter burps – delicately, of course because she is a precious flower that wouldn’t ever dare let a raucous burp escape her rosebud mouth … nooooooo – and then blames it on Loopy.  “Hey, our kitten burped!  Say excuse me, Loopy.”
  • I enjoy Loopy, especially when she grabs Birdy’s little watercolor paintbrush off the floor and goes berserk with it.
  • I also enjoy seeing Siah and Loopy sitting next to each other.  It’s like watching Siah sitting next to a time travel mirror, with the reflection as her younger self.
  • I’m thankful that my daughter suggested I put my infusion set on my butt cheek.  Granted, she laughs at me all the time (“You have your pump on your butt!!” and then she collapses into a pile of her own giggles), but it’s new diabetes real estate for me, and it’s working out well.
  • I really like the Léon Foucault Google doodle today.  And this full list of Google doodles is awesome to poke around in.
  • I am thankful for going to bed with a blood sugar of 136 mg/dL and waking up at 136 mg/dL.  That seems like diabetes magic.
  • I’m grateful for the opportunity to visit Barcelona next week for the EASD meeting, having the opportunity to connect with friends from different time zones.
  • I was thankful that the mailbox yesterday had more real mail (packages, cards from friends, books) than bills.  That’s a first.
  • I’m thankful that we have a new dishwasher that actually cleans the dishes and doesn’t just cycle for an hour and then smell like burnt jewelry.
  • I’m thankful that the new Tom Odell album is available on Spotify.
  • Same for the Arctic Monkeys one.
  • See also:  Half Moon Run.
  • I’m thankful to have brave friends like The Briley, who is forcing herself out of her comfort zone this weekend and running her first half marathon … with type 1 diabetes, no less.  Cheer her on!
  • I’m also thankful for Scott and George.  They know why.
  • I love listening to Chris read out loud to our daughter before bed at night.
  • I’m thankful for Internet, and all the strange rangers who live on it.
  • I’m thankful for grapes, oddly enough.  The ones we bought this week are perfectly crisp and taste awesome.
  • And I’m thankful for Spibelt, who make it possible for me to bring glucose tabs, my Dexcom receiver, and car key when I feel the need to run out my stress.

You want to embrace the anti-rant today, too, you say?  Do it.  It helps peel back some of life’s yuck.

1. Lovely, lovely. Thankfulness and gratitude are good, and something I need to embrace myself today.

On a side note, BARCELONA!! If you like paella and amazing oysters, I highly recommend finding time for a meal at Can Majo in Barceloneta. One of my most memorable meals of the last few years…

09/18/13; 9:55 am
  2. Smell of coffee and the cloud of steam coming up from it when I sit outside on the porch and it’s just-barely-chilly in the morning. My daughter’s insane giggling. My husband telling silly jokes. Squirrels getting an attitude with each other in the backyard and squeaking madly. Those are just from this morning. So many things to be thankful for! Thanks for this :)

09/18/13; 10:13 am
  3. Lindsay #

That 136 is definitely diabetes magic! Great post!

09/18/13; 10:56 am
  4. And I am thankful for lists about being thankful. They really do help change perspective. Thank you! Yay for the anti-rant! :-)

09/18/13; 11:34 am
  5. Anti-Rant FTW!!!!

I really needed this today since I have been Ranty McMeany lately.

09/18/13; 11:40 am
  6. ria #

little thing…..thankful for minty dental floss
    big thing……thankful for insulin, so I can keep on ranting (and being thankful, of course) =)

09/18/13; 12:24 pm
  7. Amy #

I’m thankful for my George asleep on my lap.
    I’m thankful that I somehow can make enough tears and not get too dehydrated. (Crying with joy over George.)
    I’m thankful for my amazing husband who is holding our new son in our bed so I have a free lap for George.
    I’m thankful our son is so cute and extra cheerful in the mornings.
    I’m thankful to be free of the pregnancy diabetes stress.
    I’m thankful I could keep going on this list for a few hours.
    I’m thankful I’m not going to do so on your blog…it’s yours not mine! ;)
    Oh and I’m thankful for Kerri and the DOC.

09/18/13; 12:46 pm
  8. Wendy #

I’m grateful for hot Earl Grey tea with two splenda packets that will not only provide productivity enhancing caffeine but also the heat to help my sinuses drain.

I’m grateful for my furry chinchilla babies: Chester who is a little neurotic but always knows when I need extra attention, and Zoe who watches my husband and I whenever we are home & within earshot/eyesight.

I’m grateful for my blood thinners, because I rarely if ever have to force a poke to give up enough blood to test. Even if I cannot be thankful for the reason I have to take them.

09/18/13; 1:02 pm
  9. What a fantastic post, Kerri. It’s not even thanksgiving! You’re awesome. I will make a list today too.

about your list:

I am listening to Half Moon Run right now. It took me about 20 seconds to fall in love. Thank you. Thank you. This is RIGHT up my alley.

What kind of SPIbelt do you have? I have been using a fanny pak to run, but it is not very secure and bumps a lot.

the 136 thing blows my mind. Did Dumbledore do that? I wonder what the diabetes incantation/spell would be for achieving stable blood sugars?

GLUCOSA STEBORA!

AVADA SPIKARA!

09/18/13; 1:43 pm
  10. Sheri #

Love this, Kerri!

I’m thankful for a smooth preganancy, and that we are ten days away at most from meeting our little girl for the first time!

Also thankful for family and friends that come through at just the right time.

09/18/13; 2:38 pm
  11. Dan #

Hi Kerri,
    I was good to hear your uplifting comments. We have sooo much to be thankful for
    and gratitude takes work.
    As always have a great day.
    Dan

09/18/13; 2:47 pm
  12. Do you not pull the butt cheek site out when you pull down your pants to pee? I could never make it work! That said, I’m thankful for long-sleeved weather to use the upper arm real estate for sites again.

09/18/13; 3:16 pm
  13. Nell #

I agree with your daughter……LOVE wearing my infusion set on my butt…..absorption is very consistent there for me. Hope it works for you.

09/18/13; 3:34 pm
  14. Putting in a bullet on butt-cheek sites followed by another bullet on Google Doodles taught me a valuable lesson: that I should read more slowly so different thoughts don’t run into one another (though a Google Doodle celebrating the efforts of PWDs sounds like a good idea!)

Great list, though. It reminds us to remember and acknowledge the good things.

09/18/13; 4:30 pm
  15. I loved this post! I also use the butt cheek sometimes and it must also include MM’s Infusion Set IV3000 with the pre-cut hole or they get ripped out when going to the bathroom! I am on the t:slim pump now but still use the IV3000 every time over my 45 degree sets.

09/20/13; 6:02 pm
  16. Melinda #

Sprinkles on my heart today, Ms. Kerri! Love and light to all-truly needed this today!

09/24/13; 12:10 pm