Recently, I stumbled onto a site called Daily Prompt, and I have used it from time to time to jostle the thoughts in my head into a more respectable state. This was a prompt from last week: “The internet is full of rants. Help tip the balance: today, simply be thankful for something (or someone).”
I’m thankful for so many BIG things, like my family and my friends, but there are so many little things that deserve recognition. Time for a bullet list o’ thankfulness, you say? I couldn’t agree more.
- I’m thankful for the fact that hazelnut coffee was on sale at the market and now I’m up to my ears in it and joy.
- I love when my daughter burps – delicately, of course because she is a precious flower that wouldn’t ever dare let a raucous burp escape her rosebud mouth … nooooooo – and then blames it on Loopy. “Hey, our kitten burped! Say excuse me, Loopy.”
- I enjoy Loopy, especially when she grabs Birdy’s little watercolor paintbrush off the floor and goes berserk with it.
- I also enjoy seeing Siah and Loopy sitting next to each other. It’s like watching Siah sitting next to a time travel mirror, with the reflection as her younger self.
- I’m thankful that my daughter suggested I put my infusion set on my butt cheek. Granted, she laughs at me all the time (“You have your pump on your butt!!” and then she collapses into a pile of her own giggles), but it’s new diabetes real estate for me, and it’s working out well.
- I really like the Léon Foucault Google doodle today. And this full list of Google doodles is awesome to poke around in.
- I am thankful for going to bed with a blood sugar of 136 mg/dL and waking up at 136 mg/dL. That seems like diabetes magic.
- I’m grateful for the opportunity to visit Barcelona next week for the EASD meeting, having the opportunity to connect with friends from different time zones.
- I was thankful that the mailbox yesterday had more real mail (packages, cards from friends, books) than bills. That’s a first.
- I’m thankful that we have a new dishwasher that actually cleans the dishes and doesn’t just cycle for an hour and then smell like burnt jewelry.
- I’m thankful that the new Tom Odell album is available on Spotify.
- Same for the Arctic Monkeys one.
- See also: Half Moon Run.
- I’m thankful to have brave friends like The Briley, who is forcing herself out of her comfort zone this weekend and running her first half marathon … with type 1 diabetes, no less. Cheer her on!
- I’m also thankful for Scott and George. They know why.
- I love listening to Chris read out loud to our daughter before bed at night.
- I’m thankful for Internet, and all the strange rangers who live on it.
- I’m thankful for grapes, oddly enough. The ones we bought this week are perfectly crisp and taste awesome.
- And I’m thankful for Spibelt, who make it possible for me to bring glucose tabs, my Dexcom receiver, and car key when I feel the need to run out my stress.
You want to embrace the anti-rant today, too, you say? Do it. It helps peel back some of life’s yuck.