Pile o’ Diabetes.

Borked cannula?  Compromised insulin?  Miscalculated food?  Wonky meter result?  CGM on the fritz?

Diabetes?!

My blood sugars been absolute crap for the last 48 hours, with more yellow on my Dexcom graph (indicated blood sugars above my target range) than I’d care to admit.  It makes me wonder if someone did a Folger’s switch with my insulin and a bottle of saline.  (“Let’s see if she notices.”)

I noticed.

Sometimes the variables of diabetes feel like they’re in a big pile, waiting to be sorted through and I’m more inclined to throw the whole mess out the window.

Only in my mental pictures, I’m wearing pants.

1. Wearing pants is a plus. Not the StripSafely we talking about.

08/29/13; 9:23 am
  2. Vera #

Your last 2 days are my last 2 weeks. All insulin requirements suddenly increasing or decreasing by 20 % for 2-3 weeks without any reason? Been there done that. But this time, my basal needs increase together with apparently half of my I:C factors, while the other half of I:C factors and correction factors stay the same. Double you tea eff? And I still haven’t figured it out conclusively, my BS is still all over the place. I just hope it gets better next week, as these things seem to come and go every once in a while.
    Sorry for misusing your comment section to get this of my chest. What I really wanted to say was: I totally understand your frustration. Take care and all the best to you!

08/29/13; 9:33 am
    • “Double you tea eff” is exactly it. I ended up taking a pregnancy test to rule out yet ANOTHER variable (not pregnant), but things have been that bonkers. I hope you and I are both back in range and less enraged soon. :)

08/29/13; 9:41 am
  3. Dan #

Hi Kerri,
    Sometimes we just have to ride out the storm. Re your CGM – is it time to change the transmitter. I have found that when the Glucose trend graph on the Dexcom Studio started to have serious movement between the blood glucose meter and the transmitter that the battery is getting low, but the low battery signal has not appeared. Missed calculations with food is a greater challenge when we are removed from scales, measuring devices, etc., and eating out. Oh, btw we are coming off a full moon. Are you aware of any swings during full moon periods. I find children do respond to full moon effects…and so do adults. How was the singing bird in your life. As always have a great day.
    Dan

08/29/13; 9:41 am
    • I’ve recently changed out my Decom transmitter, but that’s not my issue with the Dexcom. I was upset about the (accurate) trends, not the performance of the device. :)

08/29/13; 10:03 am
  4. lindsay #

I just had two of the most amazing weeks. I was sure I had discovered that all along, all I needed to do was add avocado and chia seeds to my morning omelet, fixed!!! seriously, 100, deviation of 30, it was amazing. and now, for the last two days, anything I put in my body immediately puts me at 220 and I can’t come down. switched the site, switched the insulin.

sooo….thank you for being out there and sharing and providing a space where we all know it’s not just us! and now back to trying to will my CGM under the yellow line :)

08/29/13; 11:37 am
  5. That picture is of a nightmare for me (except for the statue’s bum – I wish my butt was that small!) I. Hate. Laundry.

08/29/13; 1:48 pm
  6. Sara #

I hear you. Loud. And. Clear. Numbers have been great – even going low in the afternoons, and suddenly the last 2 days, my numbers are climbing crazy high in the afternoons. I’m NEVER high in the early afternoon.

Sigh. Going out to mow the lawn in hopes that a little exercise will kick my blood sugar’s butt (and maybe my own, b/c that is one skinny-butted statue!).

08/29/13; 5:06 pm
  7. Dan #

Hi Kerri.
    I am glad to read that you are uploading into Dexcom Studio. I remember prior posting where you filmed your blood glucose reading and your Dexcom receiver. So, how often do you post your blood glucose meter results into your Receiver. Meaning go down the Main Menu to Events (in Yellow and three below the Trend Graph). Why am I suggesting this? In the posting above the suggestion was to pull up the Glucose Trend. Your actual blood glucose reading will appear on the graph as Red Stars. The differential will be very obvious when this is occurring. Hope this helps and as always have a great day.
    Dan
    PS how are your numbers over full moon periods? Some individuals are more sensitive to full moons.

08/29/13; 8:52 pm
  8. Dan #

Hi Kerri,

Last thought. Are you aware of the date that you first drew insulin to fill the first cartridge from the opened vial? I have found that the last cartridge to be filled and draining the insulin bottle may come up short regarding the potency of the insulin. I just went through the same events that you described. It does not help with the heat at this particular time. Yes, changed cartridges, lines, insets, locations which took a good eight hours. Morning is looking good and back to “normal”. As always have a great day.
    Oh, btw when you start loading the actual blood glucose into your Dexcom, the pictorial graph will show a break and be prepared to be questions with a blood drop to re-check your glucose results. As always have a great day.
    Dan

08/30/13; 8:44 am
  9. Sarah #

Exactly. Exactly. Exactly.

My 3-year-old’s blood sugars have been so nutty this summer and I’m contstantly saying, “Well, it could be the end of the honeymoon. Or she could be getting sick. Or she could have snuck some food. Or she could be stressed. Maybe a growth spurt. Or. Or. Or.” There is just no way to know for sure. Too many stupid-headed variables, making those “huh? days” so much more common than I would have anticipated pre-diagnosis days. It’s also why when people tell me they “hope you can get her diabetes under control soon,” I want to slap them with her glucometer case.

08/30/13; 1:59 pm
  10. Michelle #

I blame the chemical (aluminum, barium, strontium) disbursement in our skies. My BGs are perfect until we get blasted. Google Geoengineering.

08/30/13; 3:54 pm