“Popovahs!”

For the past five years or so, Chris and I have been going up to Bar Harbor, Maine to spend a few days walking around in the woods.  (Let me clarify.  “Walking around in the woods” means going on hikes, spending hours on end outside, and then retiring to the comfort of a bed & breakfast because I do not pee or sleep happily in the woods.)  Spending time offline and with the family was long overdue.

This year was particularly special, because we introduced our littlest Bird to some of our favorite spots in Maine.  Anti-stroller and anti-nap since she was about two years old, Birdy was ready to take on the three mile hike around Jordan Pond, chattering the whole way about the popovers she’d be able to eat when we returned to the tea house.

Allowed to use a butter knife (for the first time – big moment!) to slather butter and strawberry jam onto the fresh-from-the-oven treat, Birdy was excited to take a bite.

“Mawm!  Popovahs!!”

We introduced her to my favorite breakfast place of all time:  2 Cats.

And when she wanted a different view of the world, we lifted her up and let her see things from way up high (allowing her a new vantage point and also the opportunity to mess with her dad’s hair).

“Have I been here before?  In mom’s belly?”

“Yes, you were here once.  And now you’re here, on the outside.”

“Yeah.  Because I got so big that I had to come out of your belly and have popovahs.”

“Exactly.”

1. Deb #

Squee! (My own kids, notwithstanding, she is the cutest Bird ever!)

08/27/13; 12:31 pm
  2. Lindsay #

Adorable! Looks wonderful!

08/27/13; 12:34 pm
  3. Laddie #

So glad that you got some well-deserved vacation time with your family. I’ve never been to Maine, but your photos every summer definitely make me want to go.

08/27/13; 1:25 pm
  4. Glad you all had such a great vacation! Love the cool, clear water up there.

08/27/13; 5:01 pm
  5. Shannon #

I have a pump question! In the picture where you are wearing a blue shirt and the black kind of stretchy yoga pant capris, where do you wear your pump? Whenever I wear clothes like that I find it looks really goofy to have it clipped to my pants (plus that type of fabric isn’t really sturdy enough to hold up the pump) and it leaves a huge lump under any shirt. I have never been able to successfully camouflage the pump in or on my bra. Seriously, where the heck do women put the damn thing???

08/27/13; 5:05 pm
  6. God, all preschoolers are awesome, but I think yours got her own awesome and then a double dose of extra awesome. Love her. And you. :D

08/27/13; 5:29 pm
  7. ria #

Your daughter makes the popover look like it dropped out of heaven !
    The perfect cover photo for that tea house !!?

08/28/13; 2:01 pm