“OK.”

“Mawm, I can I help you put on your pump right now?”

It’s always an issue of immediacy.  If Birdy sees me taking off an old pump site and preparing a new infusion set for insertion, she’s immediately taken with the urge to press all the buttons and cue up the dosing.

“Sure, you can help with some of the parts.”  As I talked with her, I filled with the insulin cartridge using the needle and a bottle of room-temperature Humalog.

“Can I fill up that tunnel with insuwin?”

“Not this part, yet.  I need make sure it doesn’t have any air bubbles in it.”

“Wight.  Because those would make you fly up into the air.”

“Not exactly.  If air bubbles get into the pump, then mommy ends up getting air and not insulin.”  I finished filling the cartridge and tried to think of things she could help with.  “Hey, do you want to take the plastic wrapping off of this part?”  I handed her the infusion set and watched her peel off the plastic edging.

“So can I put the needle in you?  Because I pwamise to be very, very gentle and it won’t even hurt a bit.  Does that sound like a plan?”

“Maybe you can help with that part, but we’ll do it together.  So the insulin is in the pump now – want to hit the OK button?”

“The OK button?  You mean the one with the O and the K?”

“Exactly.  Press that and the pump will get ready to use the insulin inside of it.  Then we’ll stick it on me and be good to go.”

She pressed her little finger, with the remains of an at-home manicure involving orange nail polish and a smiley face sticker grinning back at me, against the ‘OK’ button on my pump, instructing the pump to start whirring and loading the insulin cartridge.

“Oh Mawm, the ‘OK’ button makes the pump stop yelling [it was beeping incessantly while I was showering, as it had gone to zero units] and makes it happy again.  This button is tewwific.”

“Correct.”  The cartridge finished loading, and Birdy and I carefully worked through the rest of the process of readying the pump for installation, with her in charge of the OK button.  When it came time to put the infusion set against my skin, she wanted to pick the place.

“Your Dexcom is on your left leg.  That means your pump should be on your left side, too, to make everything on the same side so you don’t tip over and break your bones.”

“Wow … okay, sure.”

“That’s how I take good care of you.  You are the best OK Mawm when I help with these things.”

She’s right.

1. Kim #

My heart, it melts.

What a wonderful kiddo you have. :)

08/12/13; 10:36 am
  2. Oh, I can only hope L gets to this point – Birdy seems so accepting of it all. Mine currently just looks extraordinarily upset and says “Nonono! Booboo” while I change sets….

I want to squeeze them both.

08/12/13; 10:40 am
    • Birdy hasn’t ever shown any discomfort when it comes to me doing diabetes stuff. But after the few times that we tested her blood sugar, she was VERY apprehensive about my lancing device. She still gives it a pissed off glance when it falls out of the kit and onto the floor. ;)

08/12/13; 10:44 am
  3. Birdy = so stinking helpful and cute, all rolled into one.

08/12/13; 10:41 am
  4. I don’t think your daughter could be any cuter. “So can I put the needle in you? Because I pwamise to be very, very gentle and it won’t even hurt a bit” I mean come on! :)

08/12/13; 10:52 am
  5. “This button is tewwific”. TOO CUTE.

Your insulin pump site change helper sounds pretty tewwific too!

08/12/13; 10:52 am
  6. AWWW! Too cute!! My little one pointed to my t:slim and said “pump” the one day a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t know whether to smile or cry. But he’s always looked at me and my diabetes “parts” with curiosity. Hopefully he’ll be able to help his “mawm” out too one day.

08/12/13; 11:10 am
  7. I’m with Birdy-pretty twewwific! Your little helper is so cute, to boot!

Mine isn’t saying any diabetes words yet, besides “doooce!” when I drink a juicebox.

08/12/13; 11:30 am
  8. Your daughter is tewwific! Even more so than the OK button. (The storytelling is adorable too).

This fascination must be a girl-thing. My two boys don’t have much interest in my diabetes stuff…

08/12/13; 1:11 pm
  9. Aliza #

Birdy is adorable and sounds like a great helper! :) <3

08/12/13; 2:22 pm
  10. karend1 #

That is just the sweetest. Both my nieces have wanted to help me bolus to get my medicine. Birdy is just the sweetest, most beautiful little girl.

08/12/13; 6:01 pm
  11. Alexis #

I think SHE is pretty tewiffic! Such an awesome kiddo

08/12/13; 7:21 pm
  12. Kerri, You are so fortunate to have your own daughter to help you!

08/12/13; 7:30 pm
  13. How wonderful that your daughter is your little helper. I think it also makes your disease and how you manage it, a little less scary to her. I am on the other side: My 10 year old son has diabetes and I’m the “helper”.

08/12/13; 9:28 pm
  14. Christine #

That is hilarious. I just had to read this to my husband. Reminds me of my
    granddaughter who likes very much to be involved with grandmas care.
    Precious.
    Chris

08/13/13; 12:26 am
  15. Deb #

It doesn’t get any sweeter than that…..enjoy this wonderful age.

08/13/13; 9:29 am
  16. LOVE. THIS. what a sweet and precocious child!

08/13/13; 9:02 pm