Hot.

You know how hot it is.  Hot as balls.  (Horrible image.  Hat tip to every person I knew in college who used that expression, because it’s both awful and evocative in its horribleness.)  But it’s really hot outside, and anyone living in New England knows that as fact.

Two days ago, the temperature gauge in my car read a crispy 101 degrees Fahrenheit.  When the temperature is more in the “ideal blood sugar range” than the “outside temperature range,” that’s not cool.  I like my temperatures to be borderline hypoglycemic.

Our oven broke, which isn’t normally a cause for concern for me (I do not love to cook!) but it was so hot on our back deck that Birdy and I stuck a frying pan out there to see if it would get hot enough for the “it’s so hot, you could fry an egg out here!” adage.   Unfortunately, the egg just dribbled sadly onto the pan and became very, very over easy, but by the time we checked on it, we had already made fruit salad.

My daughter has lots of lovely hair, but it’s a sad state in this kind of heat.  Poor girl has ringlets fashioned by damp sweat after being in this heat for more than a few minutes.  I feel for her, and wish I could stick an air conditioner in my face for when I hug her.

This kind of heat should make me run for the water bottles and chug fluids by the liter, but instead, it’s so damn hot that I find myself not drinking much at all.  Which is leading to a little bit of dehydration.  Which means that my blood sugars are a little tougher than normal to keep in range.  Which means yay because I love any and all added challenges.

It is weird, though, that I know I need a cranked up basal rate (maybe to like 115 – 125%) to battle back against how my body responds to the heat, but I never do it in time to avoid the highs.  I only ratchet up the basal rate once I see the Dexcom starting to show northern-bound arrows.  I thought ahead yesterday and today, but I rode in the 180 – 230 mg/dL range for much of Tuesday, since the heat fried the diabetes management part of my brain.

Heat makes you delusional.  And gross.

This lady is kind of my hero, mostly because of the way she swears with such purpose about the aforementioned heat.  (NSFW, and NSFyourears if you’re easily offended by language.)

Come on, Sunday … I saw on the weather app on my phone that the heat wave is expected to break on Sunday, bringing low 80′s and high 70′s back to New England.  I can’t wait.  But while I’m forced to wait, I’ll sit here in front of the air conditioner, with an iced coffee, and hope the keys don’t melt off my laptop keyboard.

1. P O W E R R A N G E R!!!!!

07/18/13; 12:35 pm
  2. My friends in college would say, “hot as donkey balls” – it had the double entendre of the balls plus donkey=ass, etc. Remembering to drink more water when it’s hot AND 95% humidity outside is really tough, but I’m working on it.
    Side note: I went to acupuncture this morning, and going to acupuncture lowers my sugar every single time, no matter what time of day, and no matter what I ate before I went. I’m thinking of testing pizza or chinese food before my next appointment :)

07/18/13; 12:37 pm
  3. BettyAnn #

I’ve lived in lots of hot places before, Arizona for one, but here in Texas we like to attribute weird behavior to the temperature… as in “she’s just gone crazy with the heat!” There’s some truth to that.

07/18/13; 1:12 pm
  4. talk to moses.

07/18/13; 1:34 pm
  5. Lindsay #

IT IS WAY TOO HOT! I have been running/walking in the morning and have found the heat definitely affects my blood sugars. If I’m really hot and uncomfortable when I run/walk, i return home after 30 min of exercise and my blood sugar has gone up, if it’s below 75, my blood sugar goes down. Who knew I had to check the weather just to know if I need to bolus?! But of course this only seems to be in the morning, in the afternoon, all activity sends me down. Diabetes + Heat = crazy.

07/18/13; 4:29 pm
  6. I take it you don’t have air conditioning. I wish you had written this earlier. I have lived in the South my whole life. I could give you some tips. Like find a couple of gallon containers. Fill them 2/3 full with water and freeze them. Place them in a bowl in front of a fan. The fan will blow the coolness from the bottle around. Or take a bandana and run cold water over it. Squeeze it out and put it around your neck or over your head. It really does help in heat.

07/18/13; 4:49 pm
  7. ria #

“it’s not the heat, it’s the humidity”
    is a famous expression here in the good ol’ midwest
    well, today it’s the Heat (91*)AND the humidity (58%)
    can’t wait for the sub zeros of winter……..=)

07/18/13; 5:49 pm
    • ria #

p.s.
      I shared the link to “the weather ladY” with family, and we are all still laughing..
      thanx, !!!

07/19/13; 8:02 pm
  8. Ya know .. I’ve never noticed if heat affects me – as you know, I live in Texas where it’s hotter than hot every summer. It’s been over 100 for awhile now (except for a few days this week when it rained and we were in the 80s- nice!) I need to pay attention to that more closely …. Hoping it cools down soon for y’all up there!! :)

07/19/13; 9:41 am
  9. Sandy T #

So, I’ve noticed that the heat can destroy my insulin (I’m a South Carolina girl, where we are thankful it’s only been in the 90s for about a week this year, it’s been SO cool). Never thought that it might not be destroying the insulin but really having an affect on me. I will be paying attention to this for the rest of the summer (no doubt it will be in the 100s here soon). Normally I end up wasting SO much insulin in the summer, I beg my doctor for some samples as insurance won’t cover more when it gets to hot and destroys the insulin. Thanks for the idea of what you do. I’ll be sure to drink more!

07/19/13; 11:03 am
  10. Yeppers, it’s hot. I was outside for an hour on Saturday working in my make-shift garden pulling weeds, and my insulin was cooked after that. :(

07/22/13; 9:41 am
  11. Oh my LORD! That video is AWESOME!

07/24/13; 10:28 pm