My Little Orange Bracelet.

At the Friends for Life conference, people who are living with type 1 diabetes wear bright green bracelets.  Green bracelet’ers are the people who know what my diabetes life is like, from the injections to the blood checks, from the guilt to the successes.  They get it.

But the orange bracelets go on the wrists of the loved ones of people with diabetes.  The moms and dads.  The siblings.  The friends.  The people who take such excellent and compassionate care of PWDs.

And this year, there’s an orange bracelet on the wrist of my three year old daughter, who is experiencing her first Friends for Life conference.  She’s played with beach balls in the exhibit hall and covered her name badge with stickers, danced in restaurants while waiting for ice cream, had her face painted, and made art projects out of colored pom poms and pipe cleaners. She’s meeting other mommies who have type 1 diabetes, who wear their insulin pumps on their hip and test their blood sugar.  And she’s meeting other little kids who have parents who are wearing green bracelets, who know that glucose tabs are for “whoa bwoodsugars” and that our bags are always packed with snacks … for everyone.

This is the magic of Friends for Life – it’s not just magical for me anymore.  It’s for her, too.

1. Awww, sounds like so much fun!!! I hope to take my daughter there next year when she is 3 – I think she will really “get it” by then. I know how magical it feels to me when I sit in a room with other PWD, and I can just do whatever I need to without thinking about it. It’s familiar. It’s so wonderful to have the opportunity to expose our loved ones as well to situations where diabetes is familiar, not something odd or different for a change.

07/11/13; 11:16 am
  2. Deb #

Could Birdy possibly be any cuter? I think not!

07/11/13; 11:42 am
  3. Shouldn’t this post be titled “My Wittew Owange Bwacewet?” I think all the cuteness in your blog lately has got me speaking Birdzonese…

07/11/13; 1:22 pm
  4. Mary Beth #

We attended a FFL with CWD about 10 years ago, so this warms my heart to see you with your daughter there! You both will get so much out of it!
    My daughter is now 23 and needs a big nudge to get her blood sugar in a more reasonable zone.
    Maybe she and I should go next year.
    Thanks for all the updates!!

07/12/13; 9:37 am
  5. Awwww!! It was so great to hang with you and BOTH of your orange bracelet crew at the confewence. Love you ladies!!

07/16/13; 8:19 am
  6. Franny #

Is Birdy her real name? I always assumed it was some kind of nickname/ pseudonym for your readers to see, for privacy reasons.

07/16/13; 11:25 am
    • Birdy is not her real name. But I’m consistent in my actions to protect her privacy. :)

07/16/13; 11:26 am
      • Franny #

Ah, I see! I just realized that my first comment sounded a little creepy, my apologies.

07/18/13; 12:27 am