Diabetes Grab Bag.
My glucose meter bag used to be the one the meter came in - black, boring, and exactly the size for the meter ONLY. As my needs have changed/expanded over the years, I realized I wanted more of a diabetes grab bag than a meter case, something that had all the necessary accoutrements for some of my daily diabetes duties. Which prompted me to buy a random bag and cram it full of supplies.
So what fits, exactly, into a small polka-dotted carrying case?
- This is the case itself. It's a make-up bag I bought at Target a few years ago, and the colors were bright enough so that I can fish it out of even my biggest purse. (Which, if you've met me, is gigantic. I hide medium-sized hedgehogs in it.)
- I keep an insulin pen with me at all times, because I never know if/when my pump will break/I'll leave the house with a less-than-full reservoir/etc.
- Oh hey, Delica lancing device! I like you. You're nice to my fingertips.
- Some spare lancets, because I actually change them now. Daily. I know. I've lost my PWD street cred.
- The One Touch VerioIQ meter. It's my weapon of choice.
- This is the smallest pile yet of dead test strips. Usually, they spill out of the bag when I unzip it, and for whatever reason, I shove them all back in. I'm a pack rat when it comes to the grossest things.
- A quarter for changing out an insulin pump battery.
- And here's the AA battery.
- Good ol' bottle of test strips.
- Lip gloss. It's not diabetes-related, but it's always in there, so I'm counting it.
- Insulin pen needle tips.
This doesn't count the jar of glucose tabs rolling around in purse every day, or the spare infusion set pod thingy. Diabetes doesn't travel light ... or maybe I'm just over-prepared? Possibly. I have nightmares of being stuck in a subway car and having to eat a fellow passenger due to hypoglycemia (completely by-passing the possibility that they might have Lifesavers in their pocket). Either way, I'm developing a definitive slope to my shoulders due to all of this stuff, and fast-becoming a potential cannibal.
What's in your diabetes grab bag?