(400) Days of Summer.
Yesterday morning, a new infusion set shunked its way into my life. It was on the right hand side of my hip, and when it went in, it burned. When I pulled the needle out to leave the plastic cannula inside, the site burned again.
"Yowza. That was a frigging stinger," I muttered to myself, trying to get out of the house in time to meet my dad for lunch. But I didn't pay the pain much mind because a site change isn't always cozy. Sometimes the sites just sting. Sometimes they don't. (Now that "Almond Joys have nuts. Mounds don't." song is stuck in my head.)
I bolus for a protein bar (still has 17 grams of carbs) and we drive down to meet my dad. En route to his house, I test and a cocky 423 mg/dl shows up on the meter screen.
"What in tarnation is that all about?" I asked, substituting something less Yosemite Sam in for "tarnation." "That protein bar kicked my rear end."
Chalking it up to diabetes being diabetes, I used my pump to correct the blood sugar and we continued to drive. About an hour later, I tested again and saw the same 400 mg/dl range grin back at me. Patience tossed, I grabbed my insulin pen and injected a correction dose of insulin.
Forty-five minutes later, I was coming down.
Ninety minutes later, I was back on the upswing.
Hours later, after spending a summer day hanging out in the 400's, with insulin injections and some desperate pump corrections, I was back at home and I ripped out the site. To see this:
Wicked bent cannula.
I had no idea the site was crapped out because it didn't hurt after the initial insertion, the pump wasn't sirening with a no delivery alarm, and I kept taking manual injections, so it was hard to tell what was actually bringing my blood sugar down. Making matters more confusing was that the injections actually made me low at one point, causing me to have renewed faith in the stupid infusion set. (So no, I wasn't being stubborn, for once. I actually thought the site was working. Until I treated a low with dinner, and bolused for dinner using the pump, and ended up at 400 again. And then I threw paper, which was an ineffective way to show anger because paper just sort of floats along happily and doesn't give a satisfying 'thud.')
New site had me from 400 to 90 mg/dl in about two hours.
I do not like when technical difficulties pop in and make a mess of things.