The Friday Six: Bed Rest Edition.
1. There's a new issue of diaTribe out for March, which includes a great column by a nine year old boy with type 1 diabetes named Boaz. Reading about diabetes through the words of a child really touches me, because I remember being that age and thinking so many of those thoughts. Hell, I still think a lot of those thoughts now, as an adult. "There have been some scary times, like the time I was rushed in an ambulance to the hospital because my sugar levels went so low that I became unconscious. But there have been a lot of great times too, when I don’t think about my diabetes at all," he writes. You totally need to check this column out.
2. Also, and sorry for the self-pimpage, but Six Until Me is up for a Dosie. (Which, every time I say the word, makes me think of a dosie-do and a ho-down, of sorts.) This blog has been nominated as Best Patient Blog, and if you are inclined to vote for SUM, thank you! You can click this link, scroll down to "Best Patient Blog," and submit from there. You'll also notice that there are a LOT of diabetes-related sites that have been nominated in different categories, so the d-community is totally representing. (And representing!)
3. In bed rest news, there's another bed rest fella out there, only he's been in captivity for over 102 days. That is epic, and I can't even imagine. To top it off, he's taken his stir-craziness to a level of creativity that blows my mind - Christiaan Van Vuuren IS the Fully Sick Rapper ... and he is something else. Check out his YouTube videos and you'll see what I mean.
4. Also, because YouTube is sometimes my only source of entertainment these days, I watched this video: When Good Bananas Go Bad. A reader sent it to me and I've now watched it at least four times. Because a giant banana, waddling viciously after people as they run in terror from him at the mall, was enough to cheer me up considerably.
5. There are two new "Life, Uninterrupted" columns over at Animas, which I'd love for you to check out. (Even though I'm feeling very interrupted these days ... interrupted every two hours by people checking in here and stealing my blood. Six days to go, and I hope these days speed by like kitties with jetpacks. What, you've never seen kitties with jetpacks before? You're missing out.)
6. And lastly, based on discussions on Twitter last night about the Rhode Island accent, I wanted to share a link to the Quahog Guide to Rhode Island Language Stuff. Because it hits all the basics, including that whole "grinder" thing. Study up, ya'll.
Time for a scintillating weekend - my last before motherhood starts. AHHHHHHHH!