The Friday Six: May Day!
I must thankfully admit - blood sugars have settled down a wee bit (thanks to a 150% basal rate increase that I'm not changing until I'm sure the cortisone is out of my system) and my wrist might be feeling a little better, so things are looking much sunnier in my corner of the Internet today. About damn time.
It's time for a little Friday Six action:
1. Last night I had the opportunity to attend the JDRF Spring for a Cure event at the Metropolitan Pavillion in NYC. I haven't been into the city in a few weeks, so it was kind of fun to ride the train in and get a little "aaaah" over Grand Central again. I met up with Gina Capone and we spent a few hours checking out all the trappings, from cheesecake to white wine. We ran into my former coworker Jon and his wife Lindsey, fellow blogger Allison Blass, and some of JDRF's finest.
The JDRF knows how to throw an event, as the place was packed with people all passionate about diabetes research and a cure. Including Soprano's star Aida Tuturro, who I spent some time talking to. (She's a hot ticket!) Aida has type 2 diabetes and was featured on dLifeTV a few seasons ago.
2. Also, best-selling author Brenda Novak is a friend of the diabetes community, thanks to her Novak’s 5th Annual Online Auction for Diabetes Research. According to the press release, "The auction is held each May is a labor of love for her son who has lived with the disease for most of his life. It is also a month-long online event featuring lunches, dinners and one-on-one meetings with celebrity authors, world-class getaway vacations and state-of-the-art gizmos and gadgets." And this year, my friends at the Diabetes Research Institute are the sole beneficiaries. Pretty darn cool. Visit the auction site and start bidding. It all benefits a cure!
3. Today is the last day to enter the Diabetes Mine 2009 Design Challenge, so if you're still thinking about entering to win $10,000, you'd better get cracking! Submissions can be sent in until 11:59 Pacific time, so there's still time to enter.
4. The new issue of diaTribe is out with an all-new SUM Musings - complete with cameos from my mother and my brother talking about diabetes awareness for those who aren't diabetic themselves. If you aren't a subscriber already to diaTribe, sign up. Seriously. I know I'm a columnist there and am very biased, but Kelly and Co. do a fantastic job and I'm a proud supporter of their work.
5. In a little plug for my office, the production team at dLifeTV is looking for a few good diabetes stories to potentially feature on the show. Currently, they're seeking college students with diabetes, married couples dealing with diabetes in their relationship, and diabetics struggling with alcoholism. Check out the call for submissions and see if we're looking for YOU.
6. And in a little plug for yetis, I think I may have spied one from the train last night. We were just about to pull into Harlem 125th when I looked down and saw a person sitting on a bench outside. Wearing a full fur suit. Like a real fur suit - no joke. I am not unconvinced it wasn't a yeti. Which leads me to SkyMall. Which leads me to this video. Then this one. Which leads me into a brain tangent I wasn't prepared for.
I'm off to buy a yeti. Or maybe just take a nap. :) Either way, have a good weekend!