First Friday Six of 2009.
Nature has told me that we're getting another snow storm here in New England. (I spoke with a squirrel to confirm.) So before the snow starts to fly, I'll squeeze in a little Friday Six here. There's a lot going on in the blogosphere, and I also need a few favors from my bloggy friends!
1. First and foremost, and totally not diabetes-related, I saw a video claiming to host the "weirdest dog ever." I watched it, and the video response, and laughed so hard. Not just a "ha ha, that's so amusing," kind of laugh, but more the laugh that makes your face red and you cry and breathing is a challenge. Coworkers IM you from the other side of the building to see if you're okay because they can hear you bleating. But I can't help it. It struck me as that ridiculously funny. Watch these videos and see if you can contain yourself.
2. Via a coworker, I was introduced to Natalie Dee's webcomic site, which looked familiar to me because I've checked out Toothpaste for Dinner before. Natalie's comics had me giggling this week - especially this one. Spin through and see if you can find one that makes you snort. Shouldn't take long.
3. Movies, movies, movies. With the weather being fricking freezing, Chris and I have been huddled up and watching plenty of movies these past few weeks. We've seen Slumdog Millionaire (4 stars out of 5 from me - very unique storytelling and I love Danny Boyle's style), Seven Pounds (4.5 - Will Smith is always good), The Day the Earth Stood Still (1.5 stars - Keanu Reeves, go back to Point Break), The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (3.5 stars - for the record, Brad Pitt as an old guy still manages to remain foxy), and the other night we watched Grace is Gone (3.5 stars - I didn't like the way it was shot, but the performances were stellar. Such a crush on John Cusack). I still want to see Valkyrie and Gran Torino, and with the snowy weekend on tap, that might be the plan. Have you seen any of these flicks? What's your take?
4. Okay, onward to diabetes-related goodies. The first is about the FDA Petition that I mentioned on Wednesday. If you are inclined to sign, visit the official petition site and add your signature. And definitely pass it on to anyone who has, or cares for someone who has diabetes! For more information, check out Manny's video, Kelly's post, or Amy's post.
5. And I know I already posted about Diabetes365, but I wanted to repost and say that this Flickr group is still going strong. I know a few of us have finished, and there are some new 365'ers (and some who have recommitted!) who are making the year-long project their own. If you haven't checked out D365, skip over to Flickr and visit the group. And if you want to see my finished slideshow, click here. (Thanks to Bernard and Beth for spear-heading this project!!)
6. And in a completely self-serving request, I'm asking for some help, too. I've had the honor of being nominated as Best Patient Blogger as part of MedGadget's 2008 Web Awards, and I'm up against some big competition. I'm also getting trounced. :) I'm the only diabetes blogger nominated, and I'm hoping to rally the community and help raise more awareness for the power of diabetes patient bloggers. If you have a spare minute and don't mind helping out, please pop on over to MedGadget and cast your vote for SUM. And THANK YOU!
That's all I've got for today. Stay warm, New England - and for everyone else, have a good weekend!