Things That Are Evil.
Well hello, snowy Wednesday morning. I see you've brought along many Things That Are Evil. Let's count them, shall we?
- Delicious coffee items that are frothy and wonderful and have about eight zillion grams of carbohydrates in them even though you told the home-from-their-first-semester barista that you needed the sugar-free kind.
- Alarm clocks on the bedside table and across the room that are timed to go off 2 minutes apart from one another, having me lurch from bed to shut off one alarm only to tumble back to bed and lash out at the other one merely 120 seconds later. And repeat.
- The realization that a deadline has, indeed, passed and I completely forgot. Need calendar that I actually look at. Or a personal assistant-type person who can tolerate my absent-mindedness and the little gray cat's propensity for chewing on shoes as though she's a teething golden retriever.
- The BEEEEEEEEP! of the Dexcom as it tells everyone in the office YOU HAVE DIABETES, OKAY?!!
- Coming to work and realizing that one of those mega tins of packaged popcorn has arrived - and Dex starts beeping in anticipation.
- Carrying a shoulder-mangling work bag that has everything from hair ties to stamps to gum to a folder of articles but not a single safety pin to quick-fix the hem of my skirt.
- Red pens (I think having a red pen makes me an official "editor.") that leak all over my hand and I don't realize it until I go to itch my nose and then - WHAMMO - red smudgy nose. Awesome. Just in time to lead the sleigh.
- "Chick lit" books that I bought to read with reckless abandon that instead ended up being about infertility and were not the escape I was looking for (as I detox from a decade of the pill).
- The ebb and flow of the heating system here at work. Goes from tropical to arctic in less than five minutes.