Listen to the diaBeat.
Well that title gets the prize for Worst Pun on the Planet. It's Friday, I was up way too late last night trying to find a stupid purse, and I woke up this morning with Siah trying to faceplant into my collar bone. Foolish Sausage ... but at least there's a Friday Six.
1. ReliOn has issued a recall on some of their insulin syringes. (Thanks to all of the readers who sent me a head's up on this one.) According to the press release, ReliOn is "recalling one lot of ReliOn sterile, single-use, disposable, hypodermic syringes with permanently affixed hypodermic needles due to possible mislabeling. The use of these syringes may lead to patients receiving an overdose of as much as 2.5 times the intended dose, which may lead to hypoglycemia, serious health consequences, and even death." Check the release to see if this development affects you.
2. Last week, I wrote about the Hannah Montana and diabetes episode that the parents at CWD, and other folks as well, were fighting to have pulled by Disney. And holy power of the diabetes community - it was pulled off the air! Parents are pleased, some fans are disgruntled, and Miley Cyrus is now encouraging people to ... Drink Water, Not Sugar? Not sure where she's going with this, but I'm curious to see.
3. And because I haven't had a chance to mention it yet, I wanted to thank everyone who came out for the JDRF walk in RI on October 26th. The day was absolutely gorgeous, and there were about 6,000 people at this year's walk in Roger Williams Park. My mom, stepfather, brother, nephew, niece, sister- and brother-in-law, Chris's best friend, and my ever-supportive husband walked as part of Team Six Until Me. I had a chance to meet a few RI readers, chat up some parents, and enjoy a nice lunch out joined by Chris's mother and grandmother. Diabetes awareness has become a family affair, and I'm so honored and proud to have their support.
4. This Sunday, November 9, marks the fourth annual D-Blogger Day. The details are on Gina's Talkfest blog, but the general gist is this: If you are a diabetes blogger, November 9th is the day we collectively come together and post about diabetes. Sure, there are other things going on in our lives, and who wants to blog on a Sunday? But D-Blogger day has been a tradition in this here blogosphere and I've been a proud participant for three years, so be sure to raise your voice on Sunday.
5. And next Friday is World Diabetes Day - are you ready to mark the occasion? There are events taking place all over the blogosphere and in the "real world," as well. Will you dress in blue to show your spirit? Will you blog about diabetes and educate others? Are you helping to light a building in blue? I'll be in NYC marking the day - where will you be? Do you love questions? Does it sound like I have upspeak?
6. Wow, five very diabetes-centric things. I think I need a little levity. So I'll consult Le Sausweege. I went to grab my work bag this morning and it turns out that Siah wanted to visit dLife. She was sitting patiently in my bag, her little paws pressing the buttons on my cell phone.
Thanks, Sausage. You aren't annoying at all.
Have a great weekend, and since it's NaBloPoMo all month long (ahhhhh!), I'll see you tomorrow. And Sunday. And all next week. :)