I cooked last night. (Contain your shock, please.) I made chicken and vegetable soup, whipped up some delicious sugar-free pudding, and baked a chocolate cake for my co-worker's birthday. Nothing caught on fire, nothing turned to sawdust, and consuming aforementioned tasties did not kill anyone.
However, the cake baking was a little bit of a thorn in my side, because I was soooo tempted to lick the mixer beaters (no, not while they were spinning) and to stick my finger in that thick, chocolate frosting.
But HA! I did not succumb to temptation! I baked that cake, frosted it, and put it in the fridge, all without even a taste. HA HA!!! Take that, diabetes!
After the cake was all done, I sat down on the floor with my laptop to go through my emails. But the screen was too bright. The colors were all ... off. And my hearing was fading in and out, like someone was shaking a blanket out to spread over the bed. My head was in a complete fog, and Abby was weaving between my elbows, meowing frantically.
So I tested.
And after all that baking, after avoiding that delicious treat and trying to "stick to the plan" and "be a good little diabetic," I saw "35 mg/dl" winking back at me from my meter. Eight gulps of juice later, I was laying on the living room floor, telling Chris, "I didn't feel that one coming at all," and "If I lay still enough, I sort of feel like I'm on a record player, spinning."
Damn you, irony!