Arghhhh, Me Hearties.
Holy late post, but better late than never, right, me hearties? (Oh, this pirate crap will be the very death of me.) Jumping right into this week's Friday Six!
1. Yes, it's Talk Like a Pirate Day. In celebration of this silliness, I offer you the Pirate Translator, some pirate jokes, and a Twitter avatar, courtesy of my extremely silly brother: Kerri the pirate.
2. The JDRF is still taking applications for the 2009 Children's Congress - but not for long! The deadline for application is October 6, 2008, so if you and your child are interested in applying and representing the diabetes community before Congress, now is the time to apply. Visit the JDRF website for more information.
3. Another D-related event is the First Annual Diabetes Rockstar Cruise, brought to you by the folks at Diabetic Rockstar. According to Sara, a SUM reader and a member of the Diabetic Rockstar crew, "The most exciting part about the cruise is that Carnival has a program called Cruising for Charity, where we will be receiving a portion of the proceeds for Fight It! our charity arm at Diabetic Rockstar. Our funding goes to uninsured, in-need and newly diagnosed diabetics who need supplies and additional help." Unfortunately, I won't be attending this event, but if you're interested in learning more about this cruise, taking place next May, visit the Diabetic Rockstar website.
4. And in my own personal diabetes news, I've been embroiled in the battle with Oxford Health of Connecticut for CGM coverage. Fun. (Sarcasm.) I have a solid insurance representative at Dexcom who is helping me get all the paperwork together for my external appeal - yes, this is the one I have to send them a CHECK for, greedy bastards - and I'm working with my endocrinologist on a letter highlighting pre-pregnancy planning and the need for tighter diabetes control. This is a paperwork nightmare, and now I understand why lots of people never get to this stage of the appeal, because it's so damn complicated. BUT I am moving forward and will file this external appeal by the end of next week. Hopefully this will overturn my previous three denials. In any event, I'm almost positive they won't refund the $25 filing fee. Pricks. ;)
5. On the Children With Diabetes site, there's a short video about Friends For Life 2008, and you'll find a smattering of diabetes bloggers in there, including Sara, Heidi, Bennet, and me! (And I look seeeeerious, since they caught me in the pregnancy seminar and I was all panicked ears.) Check out the video!
6. And I'm still woefully behind on vlogging, but I'm hoping to get a clip up here by Monday or Tuesday. Next week is pretty nuts - I have plans for dinner in the city, I'll be at a seminar at the UN midweek, and I'm gearing up the dLife crew for our JDRF walk next weekend - but I need a little face-time. I'm sort of short on vlog topics - any ideas from you guys? For now, all I have is this sort of crummy quality clip from The Swell Season show on Wednesday. I have another one, of one of their new songs, that I can post this weekend after I pull it from my KerriBerry.
For now, I'm off to RI for yet ANOTHER wedding this weekend (btw, Chris and I have been married for four months as of yesterday - holy cow!) and to spend time with the family. You guys have a great weekend!!!