Clearing Our Throats.
Monday, April 14th, is Raise Your Voice For Type 1 Diabetes Awareness Day. Are you ready?
What kind of information can I pass on?
- Beth over at In Search of Balance has generously donated use of her terrific Type 1 Informational handout - just download the PDF, print them out, and fold them up to have a handy method of distributing the information!
- Check out the Children With Diabetes upcoming activities and events listings to see what's happening in your neck of the woods.
- Watch these awesome videos from dLife featuring Jim Turner, like how to handle the diabetes police, a day in the life of a type 1 diabetic, and (my personal favorite) is his video about type 1 diabetes and the internal dialogue.
- The ADA has a great advocacy section geared towards helping you contact your local elected official and letting them know about their diabetes constituency.
I have a blog. Any ideas for what I can write about?
- Write about a "day in the life of a type 1 diabetic," and what every day includes for you. Capturing the minutiae can help let people know what it takes to manage this disease that some people call "invisible."
- Offer up your diagnosis story.
- Vent about your diabetes frustrations and other people's misconceptions. What do you wish people knew about type 1 diabetes?
- Write a poem about your life, or your child's life, with diabetes.
- Bernard has some great ideas for things we can do to raise awareness both on April 14th and beyond. Check out his post about the price of diabetes test strips.
- Share a photo that represents a piece of your type 1 diabetes life.
- If your child is diabetic and would like to share their voice on your blog, have them guest post for the day and really raise their voice!
- Talk to Big Pharma - do you feel like they forget who they're selling to in the first place? Write a post and remind them about the community they should be listening to - us!
I want to make this awareness last beyond just one day. What can I do?
- Visit the JDRF website and check out different ways that you can get involved with raising awareness. Even if you aren't walking on April 14th, it's a great day to sign up for a JDRF walk team and get the ball rolling towards research.
- Join Diabetes365 and participate in one of the most active diabetes groups on Flickr. It's all about how diabetes is every day, showing the life of a diabetic through pictures. Both type 1's, type 2's, parents, and caregivers alike are joining forces and sharing their lives, one photo at a time.
- Find, or even start, a diabetes support group in your area! Check your local JDRF and ADA chapters, and any local medical facilities, for a support group near you.
- Join an online diabetes community, like dLife, TuDiabetes, CWD, or DiabetesDaily, and connect with other people who are living with diabetes.
If you post something re: April 14th, please send me a link! And if you have any pictures that you want to share here, send those, too! On Monday, I'll keep a running list of all the awareness that's being raised in the blogosphere and beyond!